fish health

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had my fish for about 7 years now and they all of a sudden are dying. I had a problem last summer and now over the past 2 months i've lost 3 . I have taken it to someone to check if the fish had parasites but they said no and I also took a sample is water in to them and everything was fine. But this morning I lost another one. Does anyone gave any suggestions on what I can check or do? The weather here is about 60 degrees today which is very mild here for this time of year.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like you have something affecting the water quality that is not detectable by the standard tests. A sample can be sent off to a professional lab that will test for just about everything. Be forewarned, these tests can be expensive especially for the more comprehensive. Here is a link to one of these labs.
http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/?gclid=CLTmxuXAscsCFQoNaQodRO8IgQ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can you tell me if I should do a 50% water change, do you think that is feasible? I have been struggling with this for awhile now. I even completely drained it last summer I don't have a big pond its only about 1000 gallons. So I was able to drain it. I thought everything was fine until about a month ago. One other question the shubunkins I have lost are about 6 or 7 years old how long do they normally live?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not suggest a 50% water change this time of year (I do them in the warmer weather without issue but not coming out of winter) Several smaller water changes would/could be helpful.

Shubunkins can live to be in their 20s given proper space and care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I am really frustrated because i hate losing them . And I always check on them and make sure they are ok . I connected a small pump about 2 weeks ago. Along with the aerator s I had running thinking maybe that would help. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I'm not sure of the numbers but I do know there was no ammonia or nitrates. I took the water to a pond store and they have checked it for me several times and it was always different times of the day, because I was told it fluctuates at times. They told me the levels for everything was great. I have about 1000 gallon pond and I had 5 larger fish. I have shubunkins which were about 6" long and two babies that are about 1". I have 2 larger fish now and the 2 babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Let me clarify I know the ammonia and nitrates were 0 but I am not sure what the ph reading was in numbers. I do know that its fine. They do the tests for me and i know they said everything was good. I have the test strips at home which I use all the time but everyone tells me that isn't as accurate as the other one. So I always test and then go to the store for a more accurate reading. They don't mind and its only a few minutes to get there. And lately I always seem to need something from them!

Ask a Question