Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello All,
I am wanting to make a hide away for my koi.
Been thinking of a lot of ways that would work and not be so intrusive.

What I am thinking now is to make a frame using PVC and then wraping/drapping lner over it and having
the top flat I can rocks on top. To make it look good
One thing I am stck on is a good way to tie or glue the liner around the pvc frame.
Any idea ?

Or what are you doing to give your koi a safe haven

I have floating plants but the fish eat them so they don't do well and as winter comes they don't grow enough.

Thanks any tips or suggestions would be great

Ruben M.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I am wanting to make a hide away for my koi.
Been thinking of a lot of ways that would work and not be so intrusive.

What I am thinking now is to make a frame using PVC and then wraping/drapping lner over it and having
the top flat I can rocks on top. To make it look good
One thing I am stck on is a good way to tie or glue the liner around the pvc frame.
Any idea ?

Or what are you doing to give your koi a safe haven

I have floating plants but the fish eat them so they don't do well and as winter comes they don't grow enough.

Thanks any tips or suggestions would be great

Ruben M.

Making something like that for koi can be rather counter productive.......
In that koi when spooked are very powerful at flight around the pond and dont care what they hit.
They have been known to damage themselves quite severely so it may not be a good idea to put a tunnel in the pond .
Perhaps a pond plant overhang would be of better use that way the koi wont be able to crash into it and damage themselves

rgrds

Dave

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Dave wrote:
Making something like that for koi can be rather counter productive.......
In that koi when spooked are very powerful at flight around the pond and dont care what they hit.
They have been known to damage themselves quite severely so it may not be a good idea to put a tunnel in the pond .
Perhaps a pond plant overhang would be of better use that way the koi wont be able to crash into it and damage themselves

Humm more to think about
Not sure how I would hang something over the water but something to think about

Thanks
Ruben M.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can make a big floating ring w/ that black plastic tubing from Lowes or H-depot and attach some plastic screening to the bottom and then throw some plants in it. That way koi can't eat them all up and they have a nice place to hide underneath.
Check out this thread on how to do it: http://www.gardenpon...-planter-rings/

kids_trick.gif

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Thank you for the knowledge

JW that is awesome I might be able to do something with that at a later date.

But and I forgot to mention this
I also what it to be hard and semi flat for the turttles to be able to get on it and sun there selves.

I mentioned this in another post
I have this plastice table that I think I can make use of but not really sure if it would release some kind of toxic stuff
Here is what I am talking about.
Plastic table.JPGTable_1.JPG
Excuse the cr...p on the table catch all work bench at the moment :LOL:

I figure I could cut the legs down to the right hight and wrap them to keep them from cutting the liner and help with making softer for the fish.
Add some flat rock on top just above water line for the turttles to have a place to sun bath. :ideacyclops:

I am guessing here but I think these tables are made of the same stuff Plastic/PVC that flower pot containers are made from or close to it.

Thanks
Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm using clay chimney liners in my new pond. I used a large 3ft sq of flat rock supported by Belgium block in my old pond. Never a problem in the old pond. You can see pictures of the chiminey liners in my showcase below in my sig. Bottom of the first page. Second page has pictures of them in the pond.

Craig

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The table would work if you can make sure no sharp parts left uncovered by cutting the legs off. And a heavy rock or some would hold it in place I would think. Then fish can hide and turtles can roost............well chickens roost, maybe not turtles.........they just sit I guess :LOL:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Again thanks for the info

And yes The turttles sun bathe so much so it could be 100 D and they out up on the rocks most of the day if not all day.
I am dieing in the shade and they are soaking up the heat.

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you use the plastic table, cut the legs off if you can at the top where they meet the table and not on the bottom. That way you can fill the legs up, (usually they are hollow), with small pea gravel or sand. Also drill two holes near the top of each leg. This holes help air escape and water to fill in the leg. The stone/sand helps the table to sink. For deeper ponds it's easier if the table sinks by itself rather than trying to get a rock or plant on it correctly. I'll be using similar tables in the spring to put lotus plants on in our new formal pond.

Craig

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The legs can be wrapped in extra liner and zip tied to the top part of the leg ,this will protect your liner at the bottom and hide the legs .You can use this idea on docks that people build onto there ponds ,just double up the liner around the 4x4 post and staple it to the top of the post out of the water and you can seal it with pl roofing goop .The liner around will grow nice healthy muck on it to hide it after awhile .It protects the pond liner at the bottom .

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Craig58 wrote:
cut the legs off if you can at the top where they meet the table and not on the bottom
On this table I can't cut the top of the legs as they are sized to fit in a square notch.

But what I can do is fill them upside down with peat gravel and plug them before wrapping.

Sissy Wrote:
seal it with pl roofing goop
I don't want to use zip ties becuase they will break off in the water and then the fish might swallow them.
? when you say roofing goop are you talking about henrys roof tar stuff is that stuff fish safe, I thought it would be toxic.

I have some Aquarium sealent but don't know if that will be strong enough to hold the Liner.

Thanks again for the help and ideas
Much Appeceated
Ruben :razz:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm using clay chimney liners in my new pond. I used a large 3ft sq of flat rock supported by Belgium block in my old pond. Never a problem in the old pond. You can see pictures of the chiminey liners in my showcase below in my sig. Bottom of the first page. Second page has pictures of them in the pond.

Craig
Craig- I have also used the chimney liners in the pond but removed them when I had several fish get scrapes and cuts from the rough edges. I still use them for spillways and wiers going form one section to another.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Craig- I have also used the chimney liners in the pond but removed them when I had several fish get scrapes and cuts from the rough edges. I still use them for spillways and wiers going form one section to another.

Did you grind the edges smooth first with a grinding wheel and then sandpaper? They are very sharp when you buy them. They need to be smoothed first.

Craig

Ask a Question