Fish...How many is to many!?!?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
This is my first garden pond, so I'm still learning.

My pond is 160 gallons. I currently have 1 goldfish, and 4 Shubunkin's. My water hyacinth's are turning yellow and brown. I was told they need lots of nutrients. Do I have enough fish for my pond size??? any other suggestions welcome! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
I never had good luck with water hyacinth's you could try floating them in some water with miracle grow.

Reaction score
Welcome! Water hyacinths don't work for me and many others on this site. I don't know if the fish eat the roots or if my water just isn't good for them. I was disappointed because they are suppose to be the worlds worst weed and illegal in some parts of the US because they spread so quickly and I can't seem to get a few growing in my pond.

That seems like a good fish load for your pond. I wouldn't add any more. They get big, quick.

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
I did water hyacinths and water lettuce and they took over the pond last year, this year they just turned yellow and didn't grow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SHAR

I'd say you are about at your limit but you might be able to get a couple more depending on how clean your filter keeps the water. Goldfish will get big so less is better in a small pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I've never had luck with water hyacinths till this year, when I put them in floating nets....they are flourishing:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Shar. Welcome to gpf. Somehow wl and wh always do good for me.The key is to test different plants and see what works best. I would stick with your 5 goldfish for a while and see how they do before adding any more. I think a good rule of thumb for a beginner is 1 sq ft of pond surface area for every inch of fish and obviously keep in mind that fish grow and have babies!

Ask a Question