Fish ID on this beautiful pair

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Ok i made a trip to Lowe's and decided to visit the Petco around the corner to check out their fish. i get there, take a quick peek at reptiles and then make it to the fish area in the back - lo and behold, i see these 2 unique goldfish amongst the Comets and Shubunkins!

What variety are they? i love the coloration - yellows and pinks on the head, bluish-grey scales on the body. their solid black eyes are both wierd and beautiful/kool to me.

i hit a setback in my pond build and awaiting delivery of materials this week, but i think i want to get this pair, hold them in a fish tank until my pond is complete and cycles.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

also i have a question about their fins: the bottom goldfish of the pair has longer, more flowing fins. whys is this? they seem to be the same size, so is this sexual dismorphism?

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Shubunkins! Some have the longer flowing fins. Addy has her pond filled with these beautiful fish.
are they regular Shubunkins tho? i know 100%, the other spotted goldfish in the pix is a regular calico Shubunkin. but what kinda Shubunkins is this pair? i know goldfish can come in different paint jobs (ex. Sarasa Comets, Calico Shubunkins, Black Opal Shubunkins, etc. etc.) and i wonder about these two...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They’re just a different set of colors, currently look “blue” but may change to black as they mature. Think of it as diluted colors, the blue color is actually grey, orange is diluted red, and just like in anything domesticated, the color genetics determines the adult coloration. Goldfish color genetics aren’t my area of expertise, but these two are probably from the same spawn, and happen to be paler.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are called sunrise shubunkins. I bought a bunch of them a while back. Their colors stay the same. Some paler some with more color below the scales.
are they regular Shubunkins tho?

Great purchase.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
They are very pretty! I like that coloration more than the regular calicos -- although all fish are pretty!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
They are called sunrise shubunkins. I bought a bunch of them a while back. Their colors stay the same. Some paler some with more color below the scales.
thank u for the specific/correct ID! i just googled them and they are the Sunrise varieties. i think they are so cute!

Great purchase.

i haven't purchased them yet. Or the store won't sell to me... yet. :confused: i haven't had fish aquarium since i was a kid and didn't have a tank set-up, so i had to put one together and went back the next day. they asked me about my tank, i said that it was just set up and cycling for a day. they said they won't sell to me until it's been cycling for at least 3 days, even tho i used API Quick Start (a water conditioner that they sell and advertises the instant addition of fish). :rolleyes: they won't let me pre-purchase them either, so i hope that they are still there tomorrow.

anyways if i can bring them home, this will be their stay over until my pond is finished.

tank.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow- shocked that a Petco refuses to sell fish. I wish they were all like that then we would not have so many pond owners with small ponds and koi!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Wow- shocked that a Petco refuses to sell fish. I wish they were all like that then we would not have so many pond owners with small ponds and koi!
i know right!

the big box pet stores get alotta criticism for their care of their animals and advice they give to customers but i have found out that it varies from store to store. it really depends on the quality of employees. for example, most big box store employees don't have experience w/ exotics and alot are actually afraid of the snakes and spiders and i've seen the wrong setups and animals in terrible shape b/c of it. but then again, i've met other employees who keep exotics and maintain the animals in store fantastically.

anyways they sold one of the Sunrise Shubunkins :( while i was waiting for my tank to cycle. i knew something like that was gonna happpen. but at least they had 1 left and it was the prettier one w/ the longer flowing fins. also i thought about getting this normal Calico Shubunkin on the left. i liked the blue scales that it had...
2 fish.jpg

but it had this "quill" which i think is apart of a broken fin/bone on it's top dorsal. it had one on each side. so i decided not to get it.
quill.jpg

i also like this orange and black comet. the black stripe on it's spine makes it look like it has a mohawk. it has a white spot on the dorsal fin tho which i think is a sign of healing from an injury. it was "under observation" in the new fish arrival tank.
mohawk.jpg

i ended up getting the single Sunrise Shubunkin.
sunrise.jpg

oh yeah, i also bought all 9 Gold Mountain Minnows they had. i think it will be nice to have schooling fish in the tank and eventually pond. :)
minnows.jpg

Ask a Question