Fish identification?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did not stock my pond, and it was black when I got it. As I clean it up, I keep finding more and more kinds of fish. However I can't identify this one, any ideas? (The black and red one) any ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• 20210102_123035.jpg
    20210102_123035.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 87

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Looks like a young more naturally colored goldfish to me. Often they will change colors as they mature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like a young more naturally colored goldfish to me. Often they will change colors as they mature.
Could be, but its big. Maybe 8 inches the fish below it is well over a foot long. However I've never seen any gold fish anywhere like the one in the pond. Thank you for the input.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
goldfish do sometimes never turn colors, if they have been breeding for a few generations a lot may go back into their more natural coloration.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, looks like a goldfish. They can change colors even as they get older. I have some similarly colored in my pond, with black on the back and gold colored on the belly/sides, sometimes the fish slowly changes to all gold over the years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys. I have been wondering about him. It makes sense he does live in the middle of all the other goldfish and koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a goldfish that is about 7 to 8 inches. He has been in the pond for 3 years and was black the entire time - up until last summer, when he started changing color. He is still kind of tortoise shell patterned black and orange. I'm guessing by summer, he will be fully orange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk but I have a few of the same koi-
16137616587082958418455500836623.jpg
not goldfish.my pond is only stocked with koi..and I've raised mine from eggs.two were a darker color like that and I have a few that are more golden and one almost yellow..i think they are just muddy looking koi maybe from random breeding? I had a few turn out really pretty but quite a few like this as well..im pretty sure hes hard to see here but hes in the upper middle area of the picture.i got rid of most of my others

Ask a Question