Fish in hiding

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a 15x8 ft pond in front of our front porch. We are in Florida, about 30 miles north of Tampa. The pond has water hyacinths that were spreading over almost 3/4 of the pond surface, so my husband took out some. Ever since, our goldfish have gone into hiding and will not come out to eat or anything! They must be hiding under the hyacinths. They used to stay under them but they would come out when I threw food in the pond. Now they are a complete no-show!
Had I known that would happen, I'd have left the plants as they were. I miss my fish! Any ideas how to coax them back out? It's been a month and they are still moping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Pipit !

Are you sure the fish are still there? I'm guessing you've seen them, but just thought it might be worth asking!

I would say if you're sure they are then they are just happier staying under cover. Maybe you've had a predator visiting that's spooked them? Or they just got so used to the pond being covered that they are skittish. Is your pond shaded - other than the hyacinths I mean. Maybe it's just cooler under there.

I wouldn't worry about feeding them - they'll find plenty to eat.

Post some pictures of your pond - we'd love to see it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Pipit to our forum!

I would take a good look see if you still have fish like said above. They are good at hiding.

Ask a Question