Fish keep dying, not sure why

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond that is doing well, but I have a friend that needs help. I have tried everything I can think of. She has a small approx 250 gallon pond, one of the premade kidney shaped ones. She has tried several times to put small goldfish in 2 or 3 at a time but they all die pretty quick. She had a pump only and it was right under the waterfall so we added a second pump, this one with a filter box, that is attached to a spitter. So now she has 2 pumps and 2 areas feeding into the pond, one on each end. We also added plants, parrots feather and hyacinth. Went and got 2 small goldfish today and they only made it a couple hours. They seemed to be air hungry...but I don't know how because the pumps should be circulating the pond volume in less than an hour. Any ideas on what the issue is?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Forgot to add the water was check at pond store and everything normal. Dechlorinator used when water is added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Very distressing for you and your friend.
fish dying that quick makes me always suspect a contaminant in the water. Good all the tests were ok. is there any chance that a pesticide was sprayed near the pond? or can surface water run into the pond during rain?
My next thing to think of would be temperature shock when they were added to the water. Did you float the bag on the water for a while do the temperature will slowly adjust to the pond water temperature?
Ray

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think so on run off, I'll check with her though. Yes they are being adjusted to the temp before going in. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I don't think so on run off, I'll check with her though. Yes they are being adjusted to the temp before going in. Thanks
Check with her about possible chemicals nearby and garden spraying of anything.
If I understand you the new fish died within 2 hours of being put in the water!! that is pretty dramatic. It does imply to me that they were poisoned.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, hours! We got them at about 4 pm, she told me they were gulping the surface at maybe 6 or 7, by 8 they were belly up. She said she is going to empty and rinse it and start over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Yes, hours! We got them at about 4 pm, she told me they were gulping the surface at maybe 6 or 7, by 8 they were belly up. She said she is going to empty and rinse it and start over.
Make sure it is rinsed very well and the water is matured when she fills it before she adds the fish. Are the plants doing ok? There are no toxic plants in the pond are there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Too much "stress coat"? My fish supplier says if you use too much it coats their gills and they can't oxygenate....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make sure it is rinsed very well and the water is matured when she fills it before she adds the fish. Are the plants doing ok? There are no toxic plants in the pond are there?
Plants are doing fine, parrots feather and hyacinth. No plants growing around the pond, all rock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too much "stress coat"? My fish supplier says if you use too much it coats their gills and they can't oxygenate....
The last time I actually measured it out myself.
I appreciate all the input from everyone, I really don't understand what's wrong!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's a puzzler. The speed at which the fish are dying does make you think of some kind of toxin. If it were ammonia or pH, that wouldn't happen as fast.

When she scrubs the pond, what is she using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a puzzler. The speed at which the fish are dying does make you think of some kind of toxin. If it were ammonia or pH, that wouldn't happen as fast.

She hasn't yet, I told her when she does to not use anything and just rinse it with water. I'm seriously thinking it's an oxygen level issue because they gulp at the surface , but like I said I don't know why with 2 pumps, a spitter and a waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Although she has used a lot of algaecide in the past and hasn't drained it since. Is it possible that too much algaecide is the issue even if it's been a week or more between last use and adding fish?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry your friend is having this problem. It does sound like some kind of toxin. It could be too much algaecide. Drain , refill and let it run for a few days. Another possiblilty is temperature. Is the pond in full sun? Not sure where you are located but a small preform pond can heat up very quickly. Does she have a thermometer to check the water temp? Just another idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry your friend is having this problem. It does sound like some kind of toxin. It could be too much algaecide. Drain , refill and let it run for a few days. Another possiblilty is temperature. Is the pond in full sun? Not sure where you are located but a small preform pond can heat up very quickly. Does she have a thermometer to check the water temp? Just another idea.
We are in southern Tn, and it's basically a full sun spot. If temp is the issue what could d? She did recently add some plants to the pond.

Ask a Question