Fish kill

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My goldies, shubunkin and fantails (all the large ones and like 15 small ones) have died. Just in the past day....it's hot here (upper 90's) and I'm wondering if it is the oxygen levels. I'm trying to do a water change and blasting the hose full bore into the pond to help with the oxygen. I dont know what else to do and all my water levels are fine. My ph is always at 7 anyway with 0 nitrates and ammonia for mine. My fish are hanging out in small groups and by the sides and waterfall. Two days ago they were all active and greeting me when I went out to feed them. Now dont even hardly swimm around or even acknowledge me at the side. I threw in some peroxide too. Guess what will be will be. Oh fourth year with this pond and never had this trouble.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, boy! I'm sorry to hear that! I know you said your water levels are "fine" but those here who may be better able to help you will want to know what the exact numeric readings are. When the large fish die first, I believe that does mean oxygen levels are low - but I'm not an expert by any means.

Let's wait to hear what others have to add -

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Let's rule out Oxygen levels being the issue. As @Lisak1 pointed out, when there is an Oxygen depletion the larger fish die first. In your case small fish were also lost. In addition, Goldfish can tolerate extremely low Oxygen levels for an extended period of time with no after effects.

Have there been any changes within the pond or in the surrounding environment during the past week?
Do you know what the Nitrite level is?
What is the water temperature?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ph is 7.6 and no nitrates nor ammonia and 0 on nitrite also...doing a water change and shooting the water into the pond making massive bubble action to put in more oxygen. I have the waterfall a bubbler and the skimmer which pumps back into the pond. Water temp is 74 after I have had the water pumping into with the hose for the past couple of hours. Most fish seem more alert right now with a few straglers hanging onto the sides....I'm thinking the air quality sucked thanks to the heat were having. I've never had this problem...but all my big fish are gone.....these are their kids now left

Attachments

• fish 4 hose.jpg
    fish 4 hose.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 201
  • fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 203
  • fish 5 all hose and air.jpg
    fish 5 all hose and air.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I guess the other half did say a cpl of the bigger fish died yesterday when I wasnt home....so it started with them...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In 7 years of having 2 ponds I never have had any trouble with and chlorine...and I have a smaller pond where we had just put fish into about 2 weeks ago (new ones not any I had) and half of those have died off too. Its a small pond 180 gal preformed and I told the other half I thought he put to many in that one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is my other small pond...these were all new fish and no the big and small ponds are not connected. out of 12 6 are still alive and swim fast yet. They are not and never have acted like the older ones I've had in the big pond.

Attachments

• other small pond 7 2017.jpg
    other small pond 7 2017.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Alot of them are hanging out together. This picture is many of them in the 4 1/2 foot water. Many are darting around when I came up and then hung out. Some are still hanging out on the sides. I just shut off the water after 2 hours of it jetting in the pond...have to go to work at noon so guess what will be from now on will be as I work until 9 pm. Ugh

Attachments

• fish 7 hanging out together.jpg
    fish 7 hanging out together.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 186
  • fish side hanger.jpg
    fish side hanger.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 183

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In 7 years of having 2 ponds I never have had any trouble with and chlorine.

Municipal water suppliers will, at times, greatly increase the amount of Chlorine or Chloramine add to the supply to 'purge' the system. If, by chance, you filled these ponds will this raised level of Chlorine was present, it would likely cause problems depending on the amount of water added. Has your supplier switched from Chlorine to Chloramine recently?

If both ponds were affected then something has compromised the water in both of them.
Based on the info in your 'signature', the 2000 gallon pond was not overstocked. For oxygen levels to suddenly drop would require more than the effects of temperature on saturation levels (you have not had trouble in previous Summers!).
Increased bacterial action will certainly deplete the Oxygen supply. This is what can happen when "beneficial bacteria" are added.
Certain chemicals will also bind the Oxygen supply. I have personally observed this happen in a customer's pond. All of the large fish died. Small fish were not affected. Oxygen level was almost ZERO. The Landscaper had sprayed a pesticide the day before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Certain chemicals will also bind the Oxygen supply. I have personally observed this happen in a customer's pond. All of the large fish died. Small fish were not affected. Oxygen level was almost ZERO. The Landscaper had sprayed a pesticide the day before.

So far the chloramine/chlorine seems like a possible answer though I would expect to have an equal number of large and small fish dead, not mostly large. Oxygen seems like the better answer.

Assuming no way for the sprayed area to be rained on and flood to a pond, in your experience how many feet is a safe distance to spray away from a pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So far the chloramine/chlorine seems like a possible answer though I would expect to have an equal number of large and small fish dead, not mostly large. Oxygen seems like the better answer.

Assuming no way for the sprayed area to be rained on and flood to a pond, in your experience how many feet is a safe distance to spray away from a pond?

Several variable involved. Many states do not have any regulations controlling this and those states that do have established buffer zones of from 100 to 250 feet away from any natural body of water.
There is this from Montana State University that explains the variables involved-
"Factors of Drift
Dave Smith, a Mississippi State University ag engineer, analyzed data from over 100 studies involving particle drift from ground sprayers. Of the 16 variables he considered, three were most important.

• Wind Speed. When the wind speed was doubled, there was almost a 70% increase in drift when the readings were taken 90 feet downwind from the sprayer. Spray when the wind speed is 10 mph wind or less.
  • Boom height. When the boom height was increased from 18 to 36 inches the amount of drift increased 350% at 90 feet downwind.
  • Distance downwind. If the distance downwind is doubled, the amount of drift decreases five-fold. If the distance downwind goes from 100 to 200 feet, you have only 20% as much drift at 200 feet as at 100 feet and if the distance goes to 400 feet, you only have 4% of the drift you had at 100 feet. Check wind direction and speed when starting to spray a field. You may want to start spraying one side of the field when the wind is lower. Also it may be necessary to only spray part of a field because of wind speed, wind direction and distance to susceptible vegetation. The rest of the field can be sprayed when conditions change.
Other important factors that must be considered in drift management are spray pressure, nozzle size, nozzle orientation, operating speed, air temperature, relative humidity, shields on sprayers and nozzles, application rate and instructions from the manufacturer of the spray product."

For the types of application usually encountered on a residential scale I have recommended at least a 20 foot buffer zone on a calm day and no spraying during a windy day within 100 feet.

Ask a Question