Fish love inverted aquariums in ponds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. New to the forum. Put a upside down aquarium in my pond. Please let me know what you think and any pointers!

Its a little cloudy today because I was doing some maintenance and stirred up some "gunk" Sorry!

Attachments

• 20200308_151032_HDR.jpg
    20200308_151032_HDR.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 451
  • 20200308_150411_HDR.jpg
    20200308_150411_HDR.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,438
  • 20200308_151024.jpg
    20200308_151024.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,183

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cool! I guess the fish like it. How big is your pond, by the way? That looks like a lot of goldfish in a relatively small pond. (PS...welcome to the forum :) )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish will love to play in the upside down tank .. but will you enjoy the constant cleanings.. it is very cool to watch the fish without you having a mask on ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very cool. Can you explain how that works? Is the aquarium upside down and the fish in your pond can swim up into it? If so, how the heck does the water stay in there? Water seeks it's own level. Is the aquarium floating or sitting on the bottom of the pond? I can see some PVC pipes. Does the lack of air in the aquarium create a suction keeping the water in there?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Looks cool but its long-term usefulness is doubtful. It will overheat in the summer and advertise to any passing wildlife, "Hey, look what's in here for you!" Probably get algae covered too. Not to mention with that many fish in there, the water will quickly become deprived of oxygen and foul unless there is some sort of water exchange going on that I can't see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool! I guess the fish like it. How big is your pond, by the way? That looks like a lot of goldfish in a relatively small pond. (PS...welcome to the forum :) )
It's a 100 gallon hard preform. To the left is their new home that will be at least twice as big once I finish it. Thanks.
Very cool. Can you explain how that works? Is the aquarium upside down and the fish in your pond can swim up into it? If so, how the heck does the water stay in there? Water seeks it's own level. Is the aquarium floating or sitting on the bottom of the pond? I can see some PVC pipes. Does the lack of air in the aquarium create a suction keeping the water in there?
Just built a quick stand outta pvc, set the tank on it upside down, used a shop-vac to suck out the air and it fills up with water...physics i guess. The fish enter from the bottom...which is the top of the tank and just swim upwards. The pvc stand sits on the bottom.
Welcome to the forum. Looks cool but its long-term usefulness is doubtful. It will overheat in the summer and advertise to any passing wildlife, "Hey, look what's in here for you!" Probably get algae covered too. Not to mention with that many fish in there, the water will quickly become deprived of oxygen and foul unless there is some sort of water exchange going on that I can't see.
Yeah I've already cleaned the glass once. Took about 3 winter weeks to get covered in green. I know summer will be worse. I have two air stones on either side of it and my filters pump sits near the entrance to exchange water a bit. The plant inside seems to be letting off some O2 also. Thanks. The pond gets about 3 hrs of direct light a day so hopefully it won't get too hot. Will keep eye on temp as things heat up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. New to the forum. Put a upside down aquarium in my pond. Please let me know what you think and any pointers!

Its a little cloudy today because I was doing some maintenance and stirred up some "gunk" Sorry!
Looks very cool! Just wondered about what to put it on in my deep 1.5m pond-bricks/garage shelves. How do you secure it so doesn’t fall over in windy weather?

Ask a Question