Fish master question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Looking at the following fish here what would be a good way of adding to this pond.

Im thinking 2 comets. But i was wondering if expanding the 2 blu orfe to add 2 orange orfe??

The goldfish seem happy together and there is 5 of them. Also have 2 baby koi white and yellow in pond. Before you ask me how big is pond etc can I just say at present I dont know! Roughly 3m by 4m and 1.5 metre deep

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep in mind the gold fish and esp the koi will grow bigger and have kids! I don't know anything about orfe's.

If I am doing the calculation right you have around 4700 gallons. 17998 liters. A good size pond for your fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
From what can be seen in the video, your pond appears to be considerably smaller than your estimate.
Stick with the Goldfish. Four Koi along with the other fish might be too much biomass once the Koi and other fish reach adult size. Orfe, because they are natural 'speedsters' prefer ample space to swim in plus they are primarily carnivorous predators and will eat anything small enough. They also prefer to be exist in numbers being a schooling fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
I will get the tape out tomorrow and get a size on it. Yes i think i will have to give up the koi at some point if they outgrow it. Probably stick to a comet or 2 and that will be it fully stocked.. thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
So its 254 gallons. I said metres first but meant feet So its small enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland

Went with 2 new goldfish. One black and the last and largest member the gold silver one. 11 total now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I like your orfe description Meyer! They definitely are speedsters...and jumpers too, as I have found. They can also grow to some considerable size, ending up much bigger than goldfish. I currently have two blue plus two golden orfe and they stick together charging round the pond snapping at anything that lands on the pond surface before any others can get to it. They remind me of torpedoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to mention but I noticed there's nowhere for the fish to hide from potential predators is there? Can they get out of the way of say a heron or some other threat amongst the rock work for eg? May be an idea to add some kind of surface cover plants/ plastic or terracotta pipes on the pond floor for them to go into. They appear a bit skittish, darting here and there.

Ask a Question