Fish nets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Can someone recommend a good net to retrieve goldfish? I want to catch some to stock the new pond. There are only the four small koi in there now. I am reluctant to buy gold fish from just anywhere. There many in my above ground pond to choose from. Thanks, John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I wanted to catch mine it would be easy. Just put the net I re-made out of fiberglass screen door material down under the water below the fish in the pond and throw some food in and lift up quick. Do it again till I get the fish I want. You can buy them cheap for swim pool skimming online or at any store that sells pool supplies. Maybe even Walmart etc.
IMG_5802.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A pancake catch net is good for catching koi or goldfish but they are quite expensive however you can lead them to the surface without having to touch the fish, then take the fish head first of the net with a sock net which allows you to transfer it into a large plastic bag or benching bowl .
It's an almost stress free way of catching fish which we swear buy as do many other koi keepers, its similar to the net pictired in j.w.'s reply to you but shallower

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Thanks. I ordered a net from Pondliner.com which should work. I am reluctant to buy goldfish from a retail store like Wal-Mart - my only choice here right now locally. The Finch Family Gardens here only sells koi at this time as he just relocated to his house, so I have to capture fish that I have now because I know they are healthy. (not swimming upside down)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep pretty iffy buying fish at Walmart. I have done it in the past w/tropical's but it was hit and miss if they lived or not. Better using your own anyways cuz they are healthy and free and we do love free here :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our walmart here stuffs their tanks, there are always upside down floaters. I never buy from them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Must be an American thing. Our Wal-Marts NEVER have dead fish in their tanks! They stopped carrying fish about ten years ago. ;)
John

Ask a Question