Fish not coming up to eat new food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hello everyone. When I first got my pond started, I bought everything at an aquarium/fish store including the 2 koi and 2 shubunkin as well as their food. I was using Tetra soft sticks that come in a canister (orange colored food). Not 100% sure of the name but I bought it because it was for koi and goldfish and I have heard of the brand Tetra. So a month and a half later I started looking at some different food and i decided to order Dainichi growth food. The fish LOVE it but they do not come up to get it. I bought the floating kind and I probably should have gotten the kind that sinks since the fish spend most of their time digging around and (I assume) eating bloodworms since they are all over the place in my pond.

Since i changed the food from the Tetra floating soft sticks to the Dainichi floating pellets they do not come up any longer to get it and they wait for it to sink. Obviously a few pieces sink right away and then its a feeding frenzy when it reaches the fish. The current created by my waterfall and my fountain end up pushing the floating pieces into the plants along the sides and then the food sits there. I end up scooping a lot of it out and throwing it away.

I thought the fish did not see the food because the pellets are so small. tiny! when they start eating the pieces that sink, they do not follow it upwards to the surface as they did in the past.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could make a floating fish food ring to keep the food in one spot for the fish. They will eat if they get hungry enough. Try tossing a lot less in, skip a few days.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh you know how hugry we get when we have not eaten for a day .I tried other foods but they will only eat the tetra so figured stay with it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I will try the hoop idea!! I have tried skipping a day as well with food but they dont seen to want to come get it. I wonder if something really scared them?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anything is possible. Mine dive for the bottom when there is thunder, hang out in a group huddled together.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only feed mine every 2 or 3 days this way they will clean the pond better .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree sissy, mine are looking for nibbles all of the time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
RUNNING good gosh JW where did you get the fish with legs :razz: :razz:

Ask a Question