Fish play

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So am I the only one who’s caught their fish playing in the bubbles? I just cleaned my power head in the aquarium, and set it to produce bubbles, and now the fish are playing in the current and chasing bubbles. I’m sure they think bubbles may be food to chase them, but it looks like play. My husband is astounded to see fish “ play”, but I’ve seen tropical fish play in bubbles from bubble wands, I think they like the sensations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Who knows what goes on in their brains? But I can tell you mine will periodically go to where the waterfall spills in - and the current is fast. They get in there, then relax, and WOOOOOOOOO there they go! Then they go back and do it again. As you say, there is probably a more practical reason for them to do that, but it sure looks like fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I catch the gups doing that in my tanks with power heads all the time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I haven't turned my giant bubble maker in the pond on yet for the Summer but when I do the fish go crazy playing in them. Zooming through them and riding the waves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes!! My fish too like to ride the "water slide"! They are so clearly enjoying it cos they'll go up to the top and ride it down again and again. I am positive that fish as living creatures do experience esome fishy equivalent of joy. Every spring when I would put the fish outside after having been in a basement tank all winter - the way they would just be running around checking it out and eating algae and stuff - I dunno, they look happy! Clearly they remember their pond from year to year. If you put a fish in a strange environment they'll hide for a period of time and these guys act more like theyre coming home to a familiar place.

Ask a Question