Fish Pond Leeches

Reaction score
I was changing the media filter pads on the top of the pond waterfall today as they were very slimy greenish & black colors. Seems like they are getting that way every couple of days now. The basket at the pump gets full and slimy as well. Anyway as I was hosing the dirty filter pads off I noticed for the first time many small brown leeches attached to the pads. I mean ATTACHED to the pads. The little suckers did not want to let go. They were all sizes from real tiny to small night crawler sizes. Does anyone have any adeas on what to do about the situation. I didn't have them at all last year and this year up to today. My wife checked on another site and someone said that the fish eat them. YUCK. Thanks for any info someone might have.

Reaction score
I was changing the media filter pads on the top of the pond waterfall today as they were very slimy greenish & black colors. Seems like they are getting that way every couple of days now. The basket at the pump gets full and slimy as well. Anyway as I was hosing the dirty filter pads off I noticed for the first time many small brown leeches attached to the pads. I mean ATTACHED to the pads. The little suckers did not want to let go. They were all sizes from real tiny to small night crawler sizes. Does anyone have any adeas on what to do about the situation. I didn't have them at all last year and this year up to today. My wife checked on another site and someone said that the fish eat them. YUCK. Thanks for any info someone might have.

Reaction score
do they look like this? If so you have a happy filter

100_0190.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Oldhead: That's exactly what they look like. From what I'm reading from others is that the leeches that are suddenly showing up in the media filter pads is a good thing. The only thing no one knows for sure is where the came from. Some thought they were from bird poop droppings or even from a frog that might have brought one into the pond. Anyway I guess I'll put on some plastic gloves when cleaning the filter pads and not to worry about where they came from as long as the fish are not affected. Some one even said that the fish are probably eating them as well. They are definitely leeches brown in color...

Reaction score
Hi Oldhead: That's exactly what they look like. From what I'm reading from others is that the leeches that are suddenly showing up in the media filter pads is a good thing. The only thing no one knows for sure is where the came from. Some thought they were from bird poop droppings or even from a frog that might have brought one into the pond. Anyway I guess I'll put on some plastic gloves when cleaning the filter pads and not to worry about where they came from as long as the fish are not affected. Some one even said that the fish are probably eating them as well. They are definitely leeches brown in color...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if they are like in oldheads pic....i would bet they are black fly (buffalo gnat) larvae, perfectly safe for your fish to eat if i'm correct..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if they are like in oldheads pic....i would bet they are black fly (buffalo gnat) larvae, perfectly safe for your fish to eat if i'm correct..

PS3

Reaction score
that's what i have in my hose's lol. a few weeks ago i cleaned out the hose
for my uv light and there was millions of these i bet these things eat
the algea

PS3

Reaction score
the algea

Reaction score
PS3 said:
the algea

That would be nice if they did eat the algea. I have a UV Light as well but haven't checked the line going to it or coming out but guess they would be loaded with them as well..

Reaction score
PS3 said:
the algea

That would be nice if they did eat the algea. I have a UV Light as well but haven't checked the line going to it or coming out but guess they would be loaded with them as well..

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I've just discovered them in my pond, upon very careful examination I'm sure they are leeches. It is a curiosity, though. I guess they'll be history when the dimilin goes into my pond system later this week.

Ask a Question