Fish Pox or what?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just joined this forum. We have a 9 yr. old pond, 1000 gals. We have 13 fish, all fancy goldfish, 2 of them are new babies this year. My concern is my oldest and dearest little friend, Laser, also 9 yrs. old. We are in Michigan, and the pond temp. went down to around 45 one night last week, now it is back up in the 60's, as its 84 degrees (air temp.) today. Quite suddenly, as in overnight, I noticed a bunch of large white bumps, about the size of BB's, on his tail and pec fins. I actually noticed these white spots earlier this summer, but they were merely white dots, not raised or large at all. They just got big when the water temp dropped. My question, what do I do about it? I did add salt, as with winter coming, I usually do that anyway. Salt level is now up to 0.14% (a little higher than I wanted). I am getting some really scary advice around the internet, but this site seemed to think its not as bad as I am thinking? Laser is acting totally normal, swimming with the others, eating like usual, not at all sick.

Also, pond is in great shape - parameters are all within range, however pH is a bit low right now at 6.8, not sure why, but we did just do a water change a week or so ago. No ammonia, no nitrites, KH is normal, etc. I attached a few pics of the pond.

I have uploaded 2 pics that should show what I am referring to. Laser is the red and white shubunkin. The white bumps are primarily on his tail, but some are also on his other fins.

Any advice? Any treatment?

Attachments

• IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 2016-08-09 18.58.32.jpg
    2016-08-09 18.58.32.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 346
  • 2016-08-09 19.02.12.jpg
    2016-08-09 19.02.12.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_9525.JPG
    IMG_9525.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That does appear to be Fish Pox. It is rarely fatal. However, because it is a viral disease it is untreatable. Fish Pox symptoms usually regress when the water temps are warm and re-appear as cooler temps set in.
Back off the Salt and start reducing the salinity level with water changes. Salt will have absolutely no effect on this disease but could cause some problems at the current level.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. I was planning on lowering the salt level to 0.10%. Does that sound more reasonable for the winter months? Also, is this viral disease contagious to my other fish? There's really not much I can do even if it is, as its a fish pond, not an aquarium. Just wanted to be aware.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never understood why anyone maintains a salt level in their pond, but that is a different discussion.
Fish pox is suspected to originate due to water quality issues. Do you have much sediment on the bottom of your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
nice pond by the way really pretty set up .
Thank you.
Never understood why anyone maintains a salt level in their pond, but that is a different discussion.
Fish pox is suspected to originate due to water quality issues. Do you have much sediment on the bottom of your pond?
No, have very little sediment. We have a Pond Vac, and use it when we do water changes, about every 1 1/2 - 2 months, but I use beneficial bacteria and a muck buster, so very little in the way of sludge, water is always optimal as far as testing. I test once a week during the summer. I almost never have to add anything except AlgaeFix during the summer. I was always told some salt (0.10%) is soothing for the fish. I do not "maintain" a salt level. No salt is added until the we get into falling temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you.

No, have very little sediment. We have a Pond Vac, and use it when we do water changes, about every 1 1/2 - 2 months, but I use beneficial bacteria and a muck buster, so very little in the way of sludge, water is always optimal as far as testing. I test once a week during the summer. I almost never have to add anything except AlgaeFix during the summer. I was always told some salt (0.10%) is soothing for the fish. I do not "maintain" a salt level. No salt is added until the we get into falling temps.
Also, I would think if someone has water quality issues, more than one fish would be affected?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lovely pond :)

I've read that fish pox is viral, without treatment. I've heard of folks who've had a single fish affected for years, but there isn't much you can do prevent others from getting it as it's already present in the pond.

I've read that salt is best used to counter the effects of high nitrites, but haven't heard of using it for fish, going into winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With the temperature going down rapidly we are bound to come across fish affected by Carp/Koi Pox is not a parasite, it however a virus, a herpes virus to be exact .
However do not think your koi have the KyHV3 koi herpes because it is not .
Fish/Carp pox usually gets worse in the winter months and as such it is temperature related and resolves itself when water tempatures start to rise again.
There is no known cure and will not harm to the fish unless it starts to effect gill movement.
The Carp/Koi pox virus is very common and the lesions come and go according to water parameters- similar to cold sores in humans. Once a fish has the carp pox virus they will always have it, even if the fish does not show any signs of the lesions.
The carp pox virus will take advantage of a fish with a weaken immune system, when the fish’s immune system is at its lowest.especially at the sdtart of winter and the end of it
There was talk of a cure that was being tested out by UK Dealerships a few years back now but nothing has since been heard about it so it is believed to have been a flop and has not worked
Personally I wouldnt worry overly about it as it noemally will clear after a few years

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question