Fish "resting" on its side - please help!

Olenka

Life is beautiful! Enjoy every moment
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi all!
Just yesterday I bought 2 fantails for my 600 gal pond. They are the only fish I have so far. Absolutely beautiful 4-5 inches long species. One is white, the other is orange with white belly. Both of them were pretty active in the store, and anxious to break free while we were keeping them in their plastic bag dipped in our pond. As we released them, the white one swam around for a couple of minutes and went hiding in anacharis (which is normal behavior for a newcomer)
The red one is more brave - he does not hide, swims around, even munch on somethin, But when he rests, his body tilts. A couple of times I saw him laying on his side at the bottom of our pond. He swims normally (in upright position) for 10 mins or so, then stops and slowly tilts to the side . After 10-15 minutes break he starts swimming around in up-right position. What could be wrong with his bladder? Is it a sign of a serious decease?
It is definitely not constipation. I did not feed them yet. And I doubt that someone could overfeed those guys at a store. That fish store has been in business for 45 years and developed a very good reputation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does sound like a swim bladder problem. Sorry - that's not my expertise. Someone will pop in here in bit with more knowledge.

How long has the pond been up and running? Have you had other fish in this pond previously?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Big transition from store tank to an outdoor pond. I have seen fish be a bit wonky after large changes. Often they will get back to normal after a while.

Large temperature differential? Sounds like you floated them in the bag, how long? Did you add in pond water to the bag or release them right after after floating? I prefer to put them in a bucket and gradually add pond water to acclimate them chemically also to be on the safe side.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How long has the pond been up and running? Have you had other fish in this pond previously?
It is my first pond! It is 4 weeks old and never had any fish before. I did not cycle it "by the book"-did not add ammonia or any other organic matter. I just left those leaves that fall in floating in the pond. Now it has a couple of dozen of leaves, a dwarf water lily, some free floating anacharis, and 2 fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fan tails do tend to be more prone to swim bladder disorders. I used to know the reason, but it escapes me at the moment. It has something to do with their squatty anatomy.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Large temperature differential? Sounds like you floated them in the bag, how long? Did you add in pond water to the bag or release them right after after floating? I prefer to put them in a bucket and gradually add pond water to acclimate them chemically also to be on the safe side.
We floated them for 15 mins, then added 4 oz of water from the pond, waited 10 mins and added another 4 oz of pond water. Repeated 3 times. All together they had been gloating in the pond for about 40 mins.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fan tails do tend to be more prone to swim bladder disorders. I used to know the reason, but it escapes me at the moment. It has something to do with their squatty anatomy.
As far as I know all egg-shaped fancies have that problem because their internal organs are squashed. So, swim bladders are out of shape.

Ask a Question