Fish Safe Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only about 6 weeks old. Though I've changed the water in top pond recently. I didnt test water in top ..figured I would wait til it cycles.

I'm a newbie so...what scared fizz test? :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't change a thing with your ponds unless there is a glaring problem. Do you have any of the rock inside either of the ponds? But just for information, take one of your 'stack rocks' (fieldstone) off to the side and drip a few drop of white vinegar over it. If it 'fizzes' then it might consist of some limestone. At least you will know. What to do about it is another thing. Again, I wouldn't change a thing with either of your ponds especially since they are new and undergoing the cycle. The pH spike could be from many other sources one of which is the time of day and the fact that the lower pond contains fish. What I would do:
Completely test and record the water parameters in both ponds. Test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. With the weekend on us and nothing else to do (yeah right) do it several times per day if you can. I am a strong believer in doing more than one test. Sort of like taking a blood pressure test. One reading is nice but three over a 24 hour period gives a better 'picture.'

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I hadn't thought to map the tests so I could track the data. That is a great idea. Going to set up a spreadsheet now lol. Yeah I'm that girl.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some input. Hope you have a great weekend. Mine will be spent testing the pond and enjoying the tranquility it brings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There's a few plants to be wary of as a hazard to ponds, willow, cherry trees and Euphorbia

Not that many, really

Ask a Question