Fish Safe Sealer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi I am in process of putting in a fountain. I gave a old metal fountain a faux aged copper paint job. I used acrylic paint, that I want to protect. As of this time no fish will be in fountain, but maybe at sometime I might want to add goldfish. I am looking for something like a polyurethane that will be fish safe. Thank you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Unless it's anti-fouling.

Why do you say that? Anti-fouling coatings retard the formation of biofilm. For the small amount of submerged surface area involved with this mentioned fountain, any effect would be negligible. In fact, for this particular application, an anti-fouling marine coating may be the way to go as it would retard any subsequent algae growth on the fountain.
These types of coatings are formulated to only affect biofilm development, they are harmless to any other aquatic organisms, an EPA requirement for any marine coating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am having hard time finding marine grade Home depot. Lowes and ebay where all busts

Ask a Question