fish safe slug control

Reaction score
hi everybody, well just as my hosta's are bursting into life, the slugs seem to be having all you can eat party's during the night and inviting all there friends, and hey they are also deciding to lay eggs while they are here ! isnt that nice of them !! not . dont want to use the poision pellets incase they get blown by the wind into the pond, imagine they arent bery good for my fish ! i know that ashes deter slugs but these would be a bit messy?unsightly around the pond, ive just read on a website that mowing my lawn at night will remove hundreds of them but i dont think my neighbours would be very pleased with me doing that !! so was wondering what methods you guys use to control your slug population ??
also would the goldfish eat the slug eggs ???:lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put out beer, they love getting drunk and drowning happy!

Shallow bowls of beer is irresistible to them.

I have been tossing my coffee grounds out around my plants, the slug invasion has decreased where I have done that.

Here is a good organic slug control link:

http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Beer is safe for your fish ,, I knocked a few in the pond over the years :lol:
The koi like the shinny can

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Beer is safe for your fish ,, I knocked a few in the pond over the years :lol:
The koi like the shinny can

ROFLMAO................they probably swarm it too!

Reaction score
thats a good link addy thanks, ground coffee i produce quite a lot of those, shal try it !
dr case, GIVE BEER TO SLUGS !!!!! ile keep that for myself thanks :lol::lol::lol:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:lol: What else can you do when your beer gets hot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing, some drink it warm and like it that way! yuck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Slugs don't like the sharp broken up eggshells either and it's also good calcium for the soil when dug in :lol:
Same w/ crushed oysters shells

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my hostas just popped up in the last day, time to do slug prevention lol, crushing egg shells as we speak lol but think will head back to the tractor supply store for some more oyster shells, easier than crushing egg shells, would have to eat a ton of eggs for the ton of hostas i have

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I save all my egg shells and use them in my tomato and pepper plants for the calcium also :lol:
My Hosta's are still sleeping and no sign of them. It has been raining here pretty much non-stop for over a month it seems w/ hardly a break at all. Once in a great while we get a day w/ some dryness and sun but hardly ever. We are wondering if we should start the Ark soon...............it's really getting depressing:confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will start doing that very good idea, I always put out my coffee grounds around plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna start putting those coffee grounds around my Hosta's before I even see them coming up so the ground will be full of the stuff and hopefully the slugs will head to the neighbors :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was surprised to see them, they were not there yesterday. My red tulips are blooming, will see if they survive the night and the deer.

The rabbits like the leaves, they have been nibbled on.

Attachments

• DSC01102.jpg
    DSC01102.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC01105.jpg
    DSC01105.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 365
Reaction score
little update, the egg shells seemed to be working but i couldnt go through that many eggs for breakfast so i went to the pet store and purchased 5kg of crushed oyster shell, next morning (early) only to find the slugs crawling all over it, didnt bother them atall ! so i had enough of being nice to them and went round the garden with a large needle and skewered them all, and threw them into the cow field behind my garden, but this was upsetting me a bit imagining all the pain i was inflicting them, so i tried a different tactic, 10 yrs ago i used to keep and breed exotic finches and weaver birds, i also had a pair of (wild) stoats that lived in an old wall in my garden, if the stoats had got into my bird aviery they would have killed my birds and eaten the eggs, so every night i used to put fresh food out for the stoats so they didnt need to go hunting for it, and they never bothered my birds once. so tonight ihave put slices of apple and pear between my plants around the pond, and amazingly an 30 mins later i checked and the slugs are crawling right past my hosta's and heading in a straight line for the fruit !! once it attracts a few onto it ican scoop up the slice of fruit and sluggs and throw it as far away from my garden into cow field as possable !! :bowdown:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Add some salt rock around the outer edge of your flowers once you have removed as many as possible, if you sprinkle salt directly on them it will kill them quickly, adding salt out away from your bed makes a barrier that they don't want to cross as it burns them.

Ask a Question