Fish seem to be bullying or fighting

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today several shubunkin are chasing around the largest goldfish in my pond. They will not leave him/her alone and it appears they are fighting. She looks exhausted. I don't know if I should do something.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
This is most likely spawning behavior, unless you want to seperate male and female goldfish then I would just leave it alone.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is most likely spawning behavior, unless you want to seperate male and female goldfish then I would just leave it alone.
oh my goodness thank you. I am so stressed seeing this behavior today worrying for her. I can tell she is super exhausted.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
oh my goodness thank you. I am so stressed seeing this behavior today worrying for her. I can tell she is super exhausted.
Aggressive spawning behavior can kill fish ( it is rather rare, but not unheard of ) so just keep an eye on everyone, and make sure there are no serious injuries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My shubunkins are relentless when it comes to chasing the females. At first I was very troubled by this thinking that the females would be stressed to death. Now I see that about 20 fry later it is just par for the course. It is natural for them and the stress might actually cause the females to spawn which everyone is hoping will happen so that they can get an extra meal. I went from 7 shubunkins to now about 27 in five months...You will have to get used to this because it is their nature...

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My shubunkins are relentless when it comes to chasing the females. At first I was very troubled by this thinking that the females would be stressed to death. Now I see that about 20 fry later it is just par for the course. It is natural for them and the stress might actually cause the females to spawn which everyone is hoping will happen so that they can get an extra meal. I went from 7 shubunkins to now about 27 in five months...You will have to get used to this because it is their nature...
Thank you. I appreciate you taking time to share your experiences and help me understand their nature. It was quite an eventful day in the pond! Plus a ton of toad eggs (see attached photo). Just a spawning pond right now.

Attachments

• 2404F9CB-83EB-48A0-BB8E-08036ADCA717.jpeg
    2404F9CB-83EB-48A0-BB8E-08036ADCA717.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 20

Ask a Question