Fish Seems Unable To Eat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Has anyone experienced a koi not able to eat? It is very hungry, but when it takes food it will chew for a bit and then it comes back out. She is very thin. Last weekend we did a complete clean out and took out the stone on the bottom--but still can't see the koi as the water is like a milky white. So it has been difficult to see how long this has been going on. So if anyone has ideas of why the new hose water has somehow turned cloudy--please advise on that as well. Had the water tested and everything was fine--PH was 8 though--but usually runs high.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is the water coming directly from the hose, cloudy.....if you put it into glass jar, it's cloudy? Are other water sources in your home also cloudy? It's either the water source, the hose, or something in the pond.

Are you able to catch this fish, for an examination? Like @Mmathis said, it could be a small pebble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Is the water coming directly from the hose, cloudy.....if you put it into glass jar, it's cloudy? Are other water sources in your home also cloudy? It's either the water source, the hose, or something in the pond.

Are you able to catch this fish, for an examination? Like @Mmathis said, it could be a small pebble.
The water from the hose is clear as we filled up the kiddie pool and that is crystal clear. Makes no sense to me as we just cleaned out a bunch of stone of the bottom and some from the sides and used new water. It is so bad, you can only see down about 6". It makes it so hard--now I noticed one that has fuzz on it belly and both sides. This happened last time we did a complete clean, but someone came to do that one and I thought it was from his equipment--although the pond was clear then, unlike now. We only saved 75 gal. and put that back in the pond. So frustrating as the only reason I cleaned it was because it was dirty and we couldn't see the fish--still can't and now they are having problems. The one that can't eat--probably could be caught, but what would I look for and where? I contacted a vet that was do to come tomorrow--but now they have not retuned my 3 calls today to check in. They wanted me to pay 50% up front, but not sure as they won't get back to. So disappointed right now with what is going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What exactly was your "clean out" process?
We kept 75gals. in a tub, drained 1/2 the pond ( as it has a channel in the center that can divide the two parts in half) took all the stone off the bottom and a few off the sides--hosed down the walls and in between some rocks on shelves, shoveled out the bottom. Started to fill that part until it almost met the other half and took the few fish that were in the tub and put them with the others in the smaller part, pumped that 75gals. back into the big section and added the hose in the small section with the fish to get them used to the new temp and water, waited until it was over flowing into the big part and they started to swim over the channel, then got them all in the big part, pumped up the small section and did the same thing. Then filled it up to top. I don't like doing that as something always happens. But now I don't have any stone on the bottom--making it easier to clean and not have to drain all the way next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
UPDATE! I had the vet out today--the fish that could not eat had a massive growth from it's esophagus to the out gill area. Given that she couldn't swallow--I had to let her go--so it is a bad day. The Dr. saw no signs of parasites on the scrape, but is going to let me know if the find anything from the mass. Plus I still can't see the fish after all the cleaning. Water testing is not great, so I think it may be time to give some to the rescue league--as I have tried to sell them private before and no one ever keeps in touch-- (I think it is a way for someone to stock for the season and then they don't care.)
I am going to try added aeration and a few more plants--but the vet wants me to continue the medi koi food for another week. I have one with water mold ( as he thinks) but thought that would go away as the temps rise to mid 70's. Hopefully, because I have to get the filter to seed soon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish, I know the feeling.

As for the water color I think you are experiencing a set back in your filter and now it's reestablishing. Once it cycles or matures again the water will clear.

Did you test for ammonia or nitrite? Do you have Prime on hand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sorry about your fish, I know the feeling.

As for the water color I think you are experiencing a set back in your filter and now it's reestablishing. Once it cycles or matures again the water will clear.

Did you test for ammonia or nitrite? Do you have Prime on hand?
Yes I tested yesterday.
PH 7.8-8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .25
Phosphate 5.0
Nitrate 80 or higher
Temp is 68
I do not have any prime. Would they have it at any pond supply store? I only have the Microbe lift PL and Niteout with pond care dechlor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I am confused. Is the filter not operational? If not, why not?
Yes the filter is working--I wonder if I have to much stuff in it though. The water is coming out okay--but I have two bags of bioballs(850) on top of the three sponges, and then socks about 12-16" long filled with crushed oyster shell and coral. I think there is about 4 in there, so it is pretty weighed down. Then I have the rest of the crushed shells in each bed of the waterfall. But the foam is coming from the waterfall it seems.

Ask a Question