Fish Selection & Filter

Reaction score
I am building a pond that will hold about 3,000 gallons. Would this be suitible for channel cat? Possibly some tilapia? Both?

Would two 55 gallon drum skippy style filters be enough to handle the bioload of a stocked pond this size?

BBK

Reaction score
What else are you planning on putting in there? The channel cats are predatory and will eat ANYTHING that will fit in their mouth.

Reaction score
Not sure what else I'm putting in yet. I'm not sure I can keep the water warm enough for tilapia I'm in southern california, orange county. Would like to keep blue tilapia. I would like to establish a predatyory population because the tilapia breed like rabbits. Would catfish keep the population down without eating them all?

BBK

Reaction score
From experience I have found that catfish will try to eat anything they run into and if it fits in its mouth, its gone.

Reaction score
Will the pond population get out of control without some type of predatory fish for the tilapia?

BBK

Reaction score
I have no idea. If your looking to make a predatory pond I would look into picking up a peacock bass. It will grow pretty big and eat anything it can fit into its mouth. You can buy them online for around $15. If it gets too cold for peacocks (they are tropical) you could always go with a largemouth bass (native to so-cal). It will take care of the small tilapia.

Reaction score
No... but I did find out it gets to cold here in the winter. I met a lady who keeps koi in a 6,000 pond in my neighborhood. I am getting some free fingerlings from her. :icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
I found two 55 gallon blue plastic drums for sale would two of these work or do I need to find a third one?

Ask a Question