fish sitting straight up and down

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I closed down the pond for winter, put in aerator and stopped feeding. All the fish except one seem fine but the one fish will sit head up and tail down and look dead then start swimming. He has been doing this for several days and I'm not sure what to do. If I bring him in I'm afraid of the stress with change of temps . I don't see anything visible on him. Ammonia 0. Ph 8, nitrite 0.nitrate 0, kh 7 drops

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had a Shubunkin several years ago that was and inside fish that I put out in my pond one Summer. When winter came he didn't swim right, all cockeyed and real lazy. I brought him in and he perked right up and was good all winter indoors. When Spring came I put him back out and he did fine all through Summer again but when winter came it started again. I left him out there tho thinking he would get used to it but nope he started acting the same way as before and finally died.

Reaction score
They are goldfish,I don't think its swim bladder, he hasn't been fed in weeks and this just started. JW what would be the best way to bring him in so that he dosnt get to stressed,just put pond water in tank and let it adjust to temp in house?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe someone else can offer a different perspective, but this behavior is almost always indicative of swim bladder issues. It does not have to be caused by overeating or constipation. If one of the other internal organs is swollen this applies pressure to the swim bladder causing it to malfunction. Gulping air can cause the same issue. Solely raising the water temperature may help, but it is no sure cure as JW pointed out.
Will the fish eat? If so isolate it without food for 3 days. On the fourth day feed it cooked peeled green peas. This will correct any constipation issues that may exist. If this does not correct the problem, the only options remaining are the use of a broad spectrum anti-biotic or. if injury is suspected, time. Euthanasia is the final option if no relief has been achieved.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep do what Meyer says and bring him indoors in his pond water and let it warm up to room temp. I've heard that the peas can help if it's the swim bladder. Never tried it tho. Hope you can help it somehow @marsha

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@marsha Just out of curiosity, is this a standard goldfish like a comet or is it a fancy type?

I agree about taking it inside for a little "vacation." I also understand your concerns about a sudden change of environment. If you don't have a large enough aquarium tank for it, you can use a large tote [depending on the size of the fish, but I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 gal.]. Treat the water with dechlorinator and let it get to room temp. If it's cold, the fish should be easy to catch, which will minimize THAT particular stressor. Place it in a bag or container [something that will float] filled with pond water and float it in the new water for about 30 minutes before you release it. Be sure you have aeration. The fish is going to be there for a few days, so you'll be doing [at least] daily water changes. Filtration is a good idea, but without a functional biofiltration, it's more for mechanical purposes. Personally, with it being winter, I would keep the fish inside until spring, but that's up to you. Follow everyone else's advice regarding the feeding. I had a newly purchased GF that developed SBD. I noticed it was a "gulper" and assumed it was getting air. Once I started it back on regular feedings, I either gave it sinking food, or would pre-soak it's floating foods [which helps with digestion]. There's a lot of good reading out there about SBD [which isn't actually a "disease," but a condition]. And, as @Meyer Jordan mentioned, if there is no improvement, you might want to consider euthanizing it.

Sometimes fish just have health "issues." We have to decide what's best for them and if we are willing and able to carry out the terms. I currently have a GF that has become a permanent indoor pet simply because it wasn't thriving in the pond. No real idea what is wrong with it, other than it seems to have visual problems which was making it hard for the fish to compete with the other fish for food. Happy as clam now that he ["Larry"] has his own apartment and a personal valet.

Oh, and BTW, thank you for posting your water parameters!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have the same experience as jw.

Once the fish starts to lose balance in winter, the fish is likely to die if not brought in. I have one such fish right now and I brought him in.

I also am not sure if it will happen to the same fish every winter. I have a fish that did that last winter but is fine this winter.

Ask a Question