Fish slowly dying off, help!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am from the UK and have a pond that's roughly 4,100 litres that houses about 25 small goldfish. The filter, UV and pump and all fine and the pond water is nice and clean - I had it tested last week and was told it was fine, but for some reason I've had 3 fish die over as many weeks and I'm not sure why.

It's always the same - I notice one fish getting lethargic and staying close to the edge of the pond for a few days, then find it floating, almost dead. I cannot see any suspicious markings on them but presume this must be due to diease.

My questions is; is there a 'generic' pond treatment set that cover all of the most likely problems that I may be having? I'm still learning so am not sure what to do! I don't actually know the age of the fish as they were donated to me by the previous owners of the house, but surely three dying in such quick succession is a tad suspicious?

Many thanks,

James

IMG_5285.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would check my pump also could they be getting a shock from it .They just told you the water was fine thats it no printout nothing .I get a printout that says what each test is they run and what the test numbers are .Is that ivy trailing into your pond .I know some ivy is poisonous

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked the bottom of your pond for gunk that could be sucking the air out of the water .I see you have no water movement either as that creates oxygen a fountain head would help or an aerator ,do you filter the water and do at least 10% water changes .Plants use up some of the oxygen besides giving it off .Is you water city or well .

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sissy - I will try my best to answer:

1: I didn't get a printiut but they also didn't charge - maybe it would be worth going back for a written report, but they are a good local trusted shop

2: the pump was first put in about 3 months ago. It's sitting nicely at the bottom so not sure how I could check if it's causing a shock?

3: I'm actually not sure what those plants are! Surely the previous owners wouldn't have put poisonous plants in there though? Maybe I should cut them back?

4: there are two water outlets from my gravity filter that go into the pond, and i always keep the water level well below these outlets so that there is water movement. There is some green gunky algae type stuff on the bottom though - is it bad for fish, and if so how do I remove it?

Sorry for all the silly questions, I'm new!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like an oxygen problem to me, not getting enough air and coming to the surface to try to find some. You might do some partial water changes and let the hose dump water in high above the pond so it splashes the water to create bubble of air. Maybe do this for a few days and you could add and air pump for more oxygen. Don't forget if your water has chlorine in it from the city then put in the drops of chlorine remover when adding new water. If on a well then don't do that. A printout would be nice from the water test at the pet shop also.
The algae that grows on the sides and bottom of your pond are the good flat smooth fuzzy kind and won't hurt the fish. If you have gunk laying on the bottom, poop, leaves decaying etc. then just use a long handled pool net w/ fine screen or make your own and scoop out the gunk on the bottom. Hope no more fish die and wishing you much luck!

Reaction score
My questions is; is there a 'generic' pond treatment set that cover all of the most likely problems that I may be having?
Unfortunately, no there isn't. Virtually every treatment has some downside, even if remote. Best to start with your water test results. I realize you, or someone told you, they're "fine" but that's an opinion not actual results. There was a post just the other day, same deal, water is fine. When numbers were posted the nitrite level was 0.1 ppm which doesn't sound like much, but is almost half the level lethal to fish. If the water test had been accepted as "fine" advice could have been given that would have resulted in all fish dying.

Ask a Question