Fish stabbed by heron - still hanging on. What do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been 4 days since one of my mature goldfish (head to tail measurement over 14") was stabbed by a heron. The wound is less than 1" long and maybe 1/4" wide, but it must be deep because the fish is basically laying in the pond. Today I checked on it, and while it doesn't move, when I tried to remove it, I realized it was still alive.

The temperature here is running 40-55 degrees. I don't know if I should leave it in the pond or attempt to put it in a hospital tank inside. I worry the stress of the transfer alone would kill it.

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you have a hospital tank, I'd move it......trying to minimize the temperature difference as much as possible. It may be that the wound will need to be cleaned. I've read many articles about this, but don't have personal experience so I'd suggest you read on Koiphen.com in their emergency - health area.....they have lots of good information.

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would go to any pet store and get some start right , stress coat or any other additive they may have for transporting and stressed out fish. it is mainly aloe and i have used it with success with similar wounds. i would not move the fish to warm water as in the colder temps the fishes metabolism is slower kinda like putting some one in a drug induced coma. it will or should help the fish to recoup if possible .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both for your replies. I checked on her today. The eyes are clear and she remains very still, but after a bit, will move. Something tells me the cold/hibernation is helpful so I added a good amount of stress coat and placed her back in the pond.

I'm in Atlanta, GA. If I can find a fish vet out this way, I may call on Monday because this fish looks otherwise pretty good. The two wounds (I found a second small one just above the gill) seem to be healing..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add the stress coat to the entire pond just follow the recommended dosage like i said before it is mainly aloe it won't hurt anything that i know of

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1583082929796.gif
@Pacepond
Hoping your poor fish makes a good recovery. Time for high up netting to keep that bird out of your pond.

Ask a Question