Fish Stunting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Good article on fish requirements for space from the fish vet. I was surprised to read minimum space requirements for goldfish....I remember as a child having a gold fish bowl........ now I realize how they thrive in ponds !

Reaction score
Country
United States
On a cross country trip, I stopped off at a friends house and went diving from their lakeside home. I was astonished to encounter several enormous goldfish in the shallows. They get big.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And I think it’s already been brought up that the 1” of fish per gallon rule applies to tropicals in a tank, not goldfish! Since tropical fish (not including marine fish, because I think they have an entirely different set of requirements) won’t grow beyond their genetically determined adult size, this rule makes more sense for them. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I always like to point out a human child would stay the same size of the container if you threw them in the trunk of a car. They'd die before reaching adulthood.

I'm kinda morbid, it seems.

Ask a Question