FISH SURVIVES BEING FROZEN IN ICE

Reaction score
I have two pumps in my pond; One on the bottom to feed the river and one in a skimmer to feed the water falls. I shut down the river first so the water temp will stay warmer on the bottom as it starts to freeze outside. On Monday December 2nd I decided to shut down the waterfall and sink the pump on the bottom for winter as the temperature was to drop that night. At that point I decided to give it a top up as the water level was down a couple of inches. With the pond at that time being half frozen the water added went on top of the ice allowing a fish to swim and get stuck on there. The next day I saw the poor fish frozen in the ice. I took a few pictures as I was going to post them on here to talk about my error in topping up and letting the fish get stranded on the ice. On Thursday December 5th the temperature went up to 15C in Toronto and much of the ice had melted. I decided to go get the fish out of the pond and in the garbage when I discovered he was alive! I guess he went into a dormant state and managed to survive. When I took the pictures I was actually standing on the ice, but some water was squishing and cracking through the ice. I guess the ice was not totally frozen between the layers, still somewhat slushy? Very strange and yes it was the same fish that was trapped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Creative video - enjoyed watching it. Keep us posted on this fish….didn't appear he was out of the woods yet. Your pond / river is very nice. Kim

Reaction score
Tula said:
Creative video - enjoyed watching it. Keep us posted on this fish….didn't appear he was out of the woods yet. Your pond / river is very nice. Kim
If you look closely at the end of the video you can see him dart to the bottom. Weather around here will not allow me to watch him too close, but I am thinking he has been through the worst of it.

Thanks for the compliment.

Ask a Question