Fish swimming -40 degrees

Reaction score
This is my 4th winter with my koi pond. My fish are swimming very near the top of the pond. The pond is 8 X 14 and 3.5 feet deep in the middle. I slowed down the feeding in the fall with fall mix. I've never seen the fish this active in this cold of a temperature. They seem to be eating the algae on the side of the pond. I have a bubbler going. Should I be concerned?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No sounds like you are doing everything right and since this is your forth winter you know what to do .Welcome to our forum and hope you enjoy all of us fellow pond nuts ,some of us nuttier than others :razz: :LOL: :glassesy: not me though never me .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomebunny8.gif
Jayne
Sounds like you have it right and are doing well w/ the way things are going so I wouldn't worry. If you notice something strange happening then you can worry :razz:

Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. I was concerned that I may have stopped feeding them too early. The weather has been crazy with some very warm days. Would you throw in some food if them seem to be looking for it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have had warm days also but I have some wheat germ spring and fall food now and then .We have even had a couple of days near 70 degrees .They are always begging for food no matter what .What kind of fish and how big are they .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never feed my goldfish in winter no matter if we get warm for a while or not, don't have koi but my goldies have been doing fine w/ this plan for over 10yrs. If the food were to be ingested and the temps are too cold for the fish to digest then the food can rot in their guts and kill them. I'm not taking any chances of that happening so will just wait for Spring. If they want to nibble on algae or eat bugs/worms then that's up to them to decide. I will have to post up a sign for them to read suggesting they do not eat during certain times just to cover my arse in case any of them decide to bring suit against me..........I will not be held responsible :razz:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum
i never saw a fish swim up top in -40 deg water

Reaction score
I have Koi, and comets. From 8" to 13'. I've been nosing around the forums and its a wealth of info! Thanks for the warm welcome and all your responses!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh your welcome and glad you joined we love snooping at other peoples ponds and homes and gardens .There is a garden sight for this forum also and we are very nosy .We like seeing others ideas

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! This is my first winter with a pond. Our air temps bounce around like crazy this time of year, and I've just started monitoring the water temps. Doing this mainly out of curiosity to see how the water temps change along with the air temps. Right now, my bottom is upper 50's [4' deep] and surface is upper 40's. I've noticed there are days [the colder ones] when the fish literally disappear. Today, they are swimming around, but not too active. I'm noting the presence or absence of the fish in my notes. Stopped feeding mine, but there is pleanty of algae for them to nibble on. They seem happy & healthy.

We like to hear about everyone's ponds, and we love pics. Tell us a little about your pond!

Ask a Question