Fish swimming round my legs

Reaction score
I bought a barb from the pet shop. I think it's a silver barb but I may be wrong - it's silver with orange fins and tail ,and is about 15cm long.

Anyway, whenever I go into the pond this fish comes up to me and starts swimming in circles around and in between my legs. If I move to a different part of the pond it follows me and carries on swimming round my legs. I'm just curious as to why it does this (I find it quite sweet ;), although occasionally I've accidentally 'kicked' it!!).

Is it just being friendly/curious, or is it asking for food, or is it something entirely different?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my fish, (both koi and goldfish varieties) always flock around my legs when i enter my pond..with the fry i had loads of the little guys kissing my legs. (trying to eat the hair on my legs i think, they may think its string algea or some sort of vegetation). but yeah it really tickles when enough of them get going..

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Our fish do the same thing. They will follow us as we move around the pond. When we had a batch of baby goldfish they would do just as koiguy said. We called it getting groomed. I think I saw where they have places in beauty parlors where you put your feet in and a certain kind of carp eats all the dead skin off. Must be something similar.

Ask a Question