fish vannishing

Reaction score
I have come to find two 3 inch koi and two fan tailed comets gone in the past week. The other residents include about 6 2 inch feeders and 1 2 inch feeder minnow and a bullfrog the size of a 20 ounce gatorade lid. the pond is 18 inches deep all the fish hang out in the deep end. the only birds around here i've seen are doves and greckels those black raven looking birds that make tons of noise. I don't know if cats would go that deep and catch the fish but any help would be appreciated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
racoons, foxes, many different birds, snakes, exspecially in only 18" of water, it could be anything...... i dont know what preditors are indiginous to your area...but you giving an easy meal and naturally the bigger ones go first, as they are easier to make a meal out of!!

Reaction score
Funny that you posted this. I got four 3-4 inch koi in a fall harvest about 5 weeks ago and I noticed this week that one was gone. As I was thinking about it, I realized I hadn't see it in probably 2 weeks (but we've had a ton of rain, so I haven't been able to really focus on the pond in the last few weeks).... I just assume one of the frogs got him, as I never saw a floating body. The other three are perfectly ok.

It's a shame, because it was the one that had the most potential to be something and I was curious as to how he might turn out. It's the one that is on the upper right in the photo below. He just...well, disappeared! Poof!
lotuslandkoiharvest9-26-09.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Do you think that might have developed into a Showa?

One of my 2 year old Kohakus (8") over the past few months developed black spots and is now a Sanke. That is the one I just saved that had Dropsy. I still have him in the hospital tank and he is looking good and eating like crazy.

Reaction score
yes, i was thinking Showa. I was hoping to find out! Ah well! I do hope that bull frog had a good pre-hibernation meal! Darnit!

Ask a Question