Fish with possible anchor worm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found this beautiful yellow/black/white goldfish yesterday while I was at Petsmart.... REALLY want to buy it since it's only $2.5 and I've been wanting yellow fish for quite a long while.

BUT there are ANCHOR WORMs on one of the fish in the same tank. I told Petsmart staff and she got the fish with anchor worms out of the tank....

I thought.. NO.. I wouldn't buy the fish from that tank! But I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

Soooooo.... the questions are

If I were to buy that fish (I'll have it in a QT and then in my indoor tank until next spring)

What can the fish carry from the store, eg. anchor worm eggs??.
What prevention treatment should I do. Can salt dip kill the eggs?
How long does the anchor worm cycle last?

Sane thing to do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer.

But I just went back to the store after did some more research I though I'd be able to save it, BUT all if them now have ich, worms, or just super thin.

So nope. Those are more than I can take and seems like a lost cause.

The good news is the store said she's treating the entire system with medication.

The bad news is, they have one filter for the while thing and we bought ghost shrimps from them that day for my tank............

Going to have to monitor my tank very very closely for a while!!!

Reaction score
Ugh! HATE when you see something you really want and then there's a problem. Often the case at my pet store too.

Good luck with the shrimp. Maybe certain critters only like certain fish. Fingers crossed your shrimp didn't bring anything into your system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know right!! It's so hard to find one you like then you just can't have them :( I'm actually feeling quite good that the staff said she is treating them and giving them medicine. So at least they are not wasting away and hopefully recover and get a good home.

Crossed my fingers for the shrimps. I didn't even think about it twice that they share the same filter...ar.......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes it is a great info! I read it on my phone the other day and missed the part about the temperature, I'll have to turn off the heater for a bit now.

Wondering though... the shrimps were from the other tank, connected to the same filter.. I'm afraid that while the eggs and the free-swimming stage larvals they got into that shrimp tank and when I put the shrimps in my tank, somehow they got in the tank with the shrimps too. As of now, 4 days, i see nothing yet. may be i'll give all the fish the 30-minute bath with 25 mg/L potassium permanganate just in case..

Ask a Question