Fishes for 2 acre fishing pond?

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am planning to construct a 2 acre pond with average of 3-4 ft depth. 6 ft in the deepest spots. There is a very dry weather in where i live. Temperatures change between 14 F to 104 F ... In winters i might have to let the pond freeze...

What fishes we have in my country ( Turkey ) : 3-4 kinds of Carps, Wels Catfish, Pike, Perch, Zander, European Chub, Rudd , Bream , Barbus and a couple kinds of trouts.

We also have Giant Pangasius catfish in aquarium stores which i can buy : http://en.wikipedia....Giant_pangasius Is that a good fish for fishing. Is it edible?

I want to make a good combination of fishes for my pond. What kind of a combination would you suggest me in my conditions?

I will be happy to hear , if you have any personal choice , that's not on the list. I might try to provide that fish.

TY .

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi ty

looks like you`ve alot of preditor fish in mind, hence your stock level must be high on silver fish 70/30 mix, and your depth needs to be 8/10 ft in the deepest part or your loose fish in summer and winter.......it doesnt take long for the oxygen to deplete in shallow water or freeze over, the deep area should give fish a better chance to see the summers and winters out.
whiskey

Reaction score
Hi Whiskey,

Thanks for your answer. :) I don't know what you mean by "silver fish 70/30 mix" ? Can you explain a little bit more please?

whiskey

Reaction score
SILVER FISH IS A TERM WE USE FOR ......ROACH,BLEAK, DACE,BREAM,CHUB ETC......SILVERY SKIN MATEY......THESE ARE NORMALLY EATEN BY PIKE ETC.
YOUR NEED 70% STOCK OF SILVER FISH TO FEED THE PIKE ETC....HENCE 30%

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Large pike will eat smaller pike if no food fish are left. You will end up with a very few large pike.
John

whiskey

Reaction score
NATURE HAS ITS OWN WAY OF BALANCING OUT THE WEAK, SO THE FOOD CHAIN WILL ALWAYS BE THERE, ITS GETTING THE BALANCE CORRECT AT THE START ...THAT COUNTS
MOST FISH WILL DEPLETE IN NUMBER BUT THEN THE REMAINING FISH, BREED YOUNG AND PREDITOR FISH TARGET THEM AS THERE EASY PREY ALLOWING THE OLDER WISER FISH TO GROW ETC ETC

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This site probably won't help a great deal as it's more for the region in which I live and most of these fish would not be available to you, BUT, It gives some good information that could be used for any pond, Silver fish would be the same thing as the fat head minnows here. That is you forage fish, In some cases they may need to be restocked periodically. I re-stocked my pond this year and had to remove fish before introducing new fish, During this time I made and added several structures to the pond to encourage spawning and breeding of the forage fish. I also started a feeding program and really pleased with the results. http://www.shepherdsportfish.com/page1/pond_stocking_louisiana.html

Ask a Question