Fishing line fence

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Im not sure if it's because of the dry spring we had but I have had more birds visiting my pond this spring then ever. So I can imagine its not long before the Heron start coming around. I was thinking if I could make a fishing line fence around the outside, would that work to keep him out? Figure I could make it so he can't climb over or under it. I really don't want to cover the pond with a net, I will if I have too....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make the rows tight i.e. 6 inches or less, together, around 3 feet high. Mine was 2.5 feet high, it flew over tangled its feet and did a header into the pond. But after that it knew how to get over the fishing line fence. I watched the heron for hours via our camera system seeing how it hunted the pond. It would land in our back field spend 20 min plus to walk up to it then stalk the pond. One time for 2 hours. And it walked around the entire pond looking for the best in. After the net was up it would come back, give up and eat bugs in the yard or something. Now for the last year plus they have not bothered to stop by, so far.

I gave up and went to a high hung net. Wide weave.

Reaction score
Good luck, it didn't work for me. My green heron used to duck and weave his way through the net. Which surprised me, I thought he would be worried about being tangled, but nope. I watched him do it.

I too moved to a net covering everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure its at knee height that way he cant step over the wires without falling in the pond.
Personally get a high powered catapult and fire near him this should spook him the aim isnt to hit or kill him.
My own hangs from a light stand hanging by the door ready for use...........
Banzi big blue heron this is "WAR", do you feel lucky punk huh do ya :mad:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Speak for yourself! :hungover:

BTW, in case anyone is wondering... that contraption I'm standing on is my trebuchet. Is that high-powered enough for ya?
Miss and you'll splash into the pond giving him the fish for free .
Theres a koi book called the koi doctor by Maartin Lemaans DVM in it it shows a greedy heron who snacked on a koi that was just too large for him to get down his throat , though the koi dead "so did the heron"as he choked to death on the koi [rough justice yes but he wont be doing that again :LOL::happy:

Dave

Ask a Question