Fishless fish pond pump... Heeheee

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My vast knowledge of useless information is giving me absolutely no help when it comes to this pond. You guys however, have been amazing.
I have been reading, and reading, and (you guessed it) reading about pumps and filters and flow rate and.... I need a clarity check as my brain slowly leaks from my ear.
I have plants, no fish (not putting any in, don't even think about telling me I should.... lol)
I am building a bog (or veggy filter), and putting in floating plants and potted plants around the pond
I think... Please correct me if I'm wrong.... If I net out the big stuff, leaves and such. And replace water pretty regularly. And run water from the bottom of my pond up through the bog and down a waterfall, I SHOULD be able to achieve water clarity without doing a filter since I won't have any fish poo... (If this is correct continue reading, if I've already got it all flubbed up, continue reading anyway and get a good laugh)
Can I use a sump pump or just a pump since all I will be doing is essentially moving water?
If that is true, what are some things to look for? I know I need to calculate flow rate based on pond volume. I know that the amperage will determine how much my electricity will cost. And then there was something about wattage
Also, since I am not dealing with fish, I would like to run my pump only for a a few hours a day, like a few hours in the morning and then again at night. Has anyone had luck with this and if so, is there a recommended schedule?
To those that have lost their minds at my plan, I apologize but since my brain is leaking out of my ear, I thought I'd try and return the favor. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sump pump is not made to run all the time and will use more electricity .Check out laguna pumps low energy use .You can use an aerator also if there are no fish as long as you don't mind maybe not so clear water .My lotus pond only has airline .You will also need to fertilize your plants and i found the best was jobes fertilizer stick a 1.97 for a dual pack at lowes .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hahaha, I was JUST reading your post in another thread titled "Sump Pumps". I'm not sure what an aerator is although I am aiming for clearest water possible. I'm heading to your site to see what your lotus pond set up is. And jobes fertilizer stick... Got it. :) Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure the last one is clear but that is an + cross connector and the first is a T connector .I use the + because it come from the pump and one goes to the waterfall filter and the other 2 are for spitters in my waterfall .I put a piece of 1 inch pipe inside the + to put my hose over and clamp it .But if you only need 3 outlets 1 from the pump and 1 going to the bog and 1 going to the waterfall you can use the T connector .I use sump pump hose it is cheap and holds up

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 312
  • pond parts 003.JPG
    pond parts 003.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 287
  • pond parts 004.JPG
    pond parts 004.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 263
  • pond parts 007.JPG
    pond parts 007.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 288

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a piece on pumps and on my build sight I show my laguna aerator .A uv may help you also to get clear water but since you don't have fish then you could use the liquid algae control or barley .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I was assuming the bog would act as a filter. I found a Laguna Next Generation Max-Flo 2900 Waterfall & Filter Pump for $175 on Webbs with a 4 year warranty. I estimate my pond volume to be around 5500 gallons, probably less with the kidney shape so it looks like it would be plenty of flow up through the bog. I'm going to put it on a timer and run it a few hours a day and see how that works I guess.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
+ with pvc pipes inside it and sump pump hose connected with pipe clamps

Attachments

• pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 301

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 4000 gallons a 2 filters and 2 laguna pumps 1 to each filter and extra to add air to the pond with my home made spitters .1 spitter in the waterfall and one under the bridge .1 of my pumps 2400 gph and the other is 2900 gph .you can see them on my pumps and filters post and what watts they use .I got 1 of mine from webbs on ebay and 1 from countryfish girl on ebay for a next generation that is a good price .both 4 year warranty

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep to help the fish but also to clear up the water .The more air you add the better it keeps your water .It does not matter if there are fish or not that why most ponders want I nice splashing waterfall .But if you water fall is only at 1 end it may not do as much .I have 2 pumps and 2 waterfalls for that reason but I do have koi and plants do not survive my koi in the pond

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think... Please correct me if I'm wrong.... If I net out the big stuff, leaves and such. And replace water pretty regularly. And run water from the bottom of my pond up through the bog and down a waterfall, I SHOULD be able to achieve water clarity without doing a filter since I won't have any fish poo...

The only replacing you'll need to do is filling after evaporation.

I have fish in mine and the bog is the only filter I have. Its been keeping everything crystal clear, so a bog should have an even easier time in your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing is that you will have to watch out for is stagnant unmoving water as it is just a mosquito magnet .I just wonder if it will be crystal clear as fish feed the plants and the plants clean the water ,but what will the plants be cleaning since you will have to fertilize the plants .I know with pondless they get away with it but water is not just sitting there .Maybe the moving of the top water would help that ,not sure

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I've had the pond up and running for a a FULL 21 days (lol) and I run my fountain for a few hours in the evening. It started going really green until I put the plants in and now it's a lighter shade of green but I know I need more plants. As far as the mosquitos, even when it was a swampy mess I didn't have any. I also have a holding pond on the other side of the yard that sits and I have never had a mosquito issue. I have lots of critters like frogs and dragonflies, maybe that's why. If I end up with skeeters I guess I will try a second pump for aeration at that end, thanks Sissy. I may end up having to run the pump full time but will start out running a few hours in the morning and a few at night. It may not work at all but I'm going to try. As far as the other end of the pond, that is where I'm going to pot a bunch of rush and other plants, to hopefully even out the water flow. I also plan on putting the pump at that end, end pumping the water all the way to the other end where the waterfall is. And JB that's what I'm hoping. Although I am planning on trying to tie a hose into my pump so I can do the 10-15% water change as needed and use the water from the pond to water plants in the yard.

Ask a Question