fishy pics

Reaction score
Well, it's fall and things are cooling down. The pond has been fluctuating between 58 and 62 degrees the past week. I just switched to feeding wheatgerm & spirulina food today.

The fish are doing great. Everybody fattened up nicely, and they all look healthy and active. Some of them have really grown!

Anyhow, some pics:

couple group shots
P1080909.jpg

P1080910.jpg

a couple pics of "ugly fish" as I've dubbed him. This fish was so cool looking when I got it - it was way less black, and everywhere that is white now was a deep rich gold colour. Now? It's darkened up, and the gold is almost completely gone. I think it's terribly ugly, my hubby likes it. We'll see how it changes over time, but I suspect this is one of the koi that I'll eventually give away lol.
P1080914.jpg

P1080916.jpg

Reaction score
I can only post 4 pics at a time, so here are some more...

Here's ugly 1 & ugly 2 lol. I actually like my plain grey butterfly koi. Maybe not the prettiest fish, but it's very friendly and will eat from my hand. Has also grown the fastest.
P1080918.jpg

Mystery fish! I posted about this little guy in the koi/fish forum. Just randomly showed up. I guess somebody spawned? I didn't think any of my fish were big/mature enough to spawn...It's a single tail, just under 2" long, quite thick in the body for a fry, and a matte black colour. If it survives the winter might turn out to be a cool looking fish next season.
P1080919.jpg

My telescopes - the black moor is about 7" long with his tail.
P1080927.jpg

Reaction score
This guy fattened up really nicely, and I'm pleased with how he's developing. When I first got him, the red spot on his head was half covered by white - it's less covered now. I'm glad - I picked him thinking the red spot would come up fully as he grew (it's perfectly round - looks pretty cool). Then I posted a pic of him on a koi forum, and was told it would disappear completely.
P1080929.jpg

Same fish as above, alongside my favourite fish in the pond. This fish has come a long way. From a skinny little 3 1/2" fish with not great markings to what is now, in my opinion, the best looking koi in my bunch.
P1080933.jpg

Another of my favourite fish
P1080946.jpg

This fish is turning out really neat looking. It was plain white when I bought it, with just a row of mirror scales down the back and down the lateral line. It kind of shimmered pink on the bottom and blue on the top. Now, it's getting definite blue edges to the scales, particularly on the top.
P1080940.jpg

Reaction score
another koi shot
P1080951.jpg

And a pic of Elvis' funny face. This fish is a wakin/telescope cross. Found him in a tank of comets at the lfs. He looks like a wakin in body and tail, but has telescope eyes. He's also got really cool nacreous scales - his spangles are why I named him "Elvis".
P1080951.jpg

Reaction score
chilligirl said:
a couple pics of "ugly fish" as I've dubbed him. one of the koi that I'll eventually give away lol.
P1080916.jpg

Awwww c'mon, look at how he loves you.. you would miss that ole' mug ! :biggrin:

Great photos...

Reaction score
thanks!

I just realized I doubled up on a pic - I meant to post this one of Elvis
And a pic of Elvis' funny face. This fish is a wakin/telescope cross. Found him in a tank of comets at the lfs. He looks like a wakin in body and tail, but has telescope eyes. He's also got really cool nacreous scales - his spangles are why I named him "Elvis".
P1080949.jpg

Reaction score
Ha! Maybe I've got bad taste in fish?
tongue.png
I do like his body shape, the black eyes, and the way his fins look with the black finnage and white rays. I just don't like his body colour. It's not clear enough to look like a pattern, but not solid enough to look like a colour - he just looks dirty.

It's weird, looking at him, I'm not sure if he's loosing yellow, or gaining white and black? The yellow still peeks through on spots on his head. And the white isn't a transparent colourless white, it's a really solid white. My hubby commented it looks like someone dipped him in paint...

Ask a Question