Fittings Connectors - You Can't Get There From Here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
I've purchased a 5500 GPH pump, to replace my tired 3200 GPH which has a skimmer on end and the waterfall on the other.

I was sure I could just unscrew the 1.5 in connectors currently on the 3200 and just place in the 5500 but the larger pump inlet is 2 inches. The outlet on the new pump has a convenient 2 in to 1.5 in reducer on it, but not the inlet.

What I need, is a female threaded 2 inch to 1.5 inch barbed (for the hose) adapter. You'd think the local Home Depot or Lowes with all kinds of pvc fittings would have something but not a chance. I can't even find what I need on Amazon.

I can't believe finding these fittings is so hard! Surely other pond people have had to deal with a 2 inch opening and have to reduce it?

Wammy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had similar issues with finding fittings for my filter falls set-up... Couldn't find anything in garden hose thread, regular pipe thread, or barbed fittings, in the local hardware stores that suited my needs. I was finally able to get what I needed at our local pond supply shop, in combo with some slip fittings from Lowes. So, my suggestion is to search on-line at pond supply places, Canada or in the states, that might carry what you need. You may not find that exact combo that your looking for, but you can probably find something close. Good luck.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Google the description of what you need. I have had luck finding some unusual fillings from plumbing supply companies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get my fittings at a plumbing supply store I just take the change I need to make with me and they solve it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too have had luck with plumbing supply stores. I just take in the whole thing and let them figure it out !

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Wammy - I had a similar need. I couldn't find the fitting so I used a flexible pvc coupling. The big box hardware stores have them. I bought my from Tractor Supply.

20190408_211544.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I was just going to say Tractor Supply. Their plumbing fitting isle is a cornucopia of fittings. They have become my new favorite aqua store.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love my plumbing supply store and they do love a challenge

Ask a Question