Fixed my leak and now pond almost overflowed! HELP!

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Unbelievable! The day after I fix my leak we get a few inches of rain and I come home to a disaster! My beautful clear pond is all brown and murky .Please advise what should I do? Do I drain most of the water and refill with clean? :( HELP!

Reaction score
How did so much dirty water get into your pond? I don't have problems with runoff from rain because the edges around the pond slope away from the pond. Maybe you need to taper your edges differently?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know NJ got real bad rains my son lives up there and he was out on the tow truck all day and night helping stranded people .If he lives in a sandy area there is no place for the rain to go as it cannot seep into the soil ,higher water table near the shore areas

Reaction score
And honestly, we dont know what you should do... what kind of filtration do you have? How big is this pond? Will your filter be able to clean it up? If its only a couple hundred gallons, sure, empty and refill. Im sure not gonna empty my 1600 gallon pond and refill that. know what i mean?

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Sorry I was in complete panic mode when I posted. It's about 1000-1200 gallons. We got so much rain so fast it looks like my yard drain on the left side of pond got clogged up and all that dirt and debris made its way over to my pond. When I got home the power on filter was off. The gfi tripped.
It's starting to clear very slowly cause I can see my 5 goldfish fish now. They don't seem to be bothered by it. I hope! They saw me and came over to say hello. Lol. I thought they were gaspingfor air but they actually were hungry :)
My filter is a big canister filter with media in it. It doesn't even have a brand on it. Just looks like a big pool type filter, and it pulls water through bottom drain line in pond. I inherited this entire setup when I bought the house and this is my first season with it. Can you tell ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
studiovette said:
Unbelievable! The day after I fix my leak we get a few inches of rain and I come home to a disaster! My beautful clear pond is all brown and murky .Please advise what should I do? Do I drain most of the water and refill with clean? :( HELP!
First of all, it's probably OK to leave the water alone, and as Sissy suggested, filter with some quilt batting. Most of the murkiness will settle out and/or be removed via filtration. If your level is high and you might get more rain, you can drain some off, but otherwise, I would leave it alone. Your clean water is still there, it's just "busy" right now.

Now to talk about recurrences.... Is the side of your pond raised, like a berm, or is it level with the rest of your yard? If your sides aren't raised, or if not raised enough, water from your yard can flow into the pond. Or, if your sides aren't level -- you have an area that's lower -- you'll get flow there, too. Do you have an overflow "drain" built in? This can be helpful to keep the pond from going over the side and into your yard.

But sometimes you'll get so much rain that nothing you can do will stop it from happening. Been there a few times.... But it will clear up. Remember, with everything "ponds," patience is your friend :)

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Haha alright it sounds like you will be ok. I would just wait is out and give the filter pads a rinse in used pond water in a day or two.

Uuhhhhh filter pads? I don't think I even have any. Lol! ok this filter literally has the same turning handle my pool filter has, but my pool filter opens up and has pads that can be cleaned off. I guess that's my next project to open filter.
When I got home I immediately drained some water using the waste mode then put the filter into backwash mode and then into filtration mode. It just sucks that I spent like 2 hours this morning fixing things up and I get slammed with this.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Here's some pics. I will definitely open it tomorrow and check. I believe the water entered from the area by skimmer in pic 3 of 4. I found a lot of debris in that area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 390
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 339
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 325

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
sissy said:
just filter it because if it is not that bad a little quilt batting will do wonders .
Sissy where do I actually put the quilt batting? In my skimmer? Or just run it through the water myself? And where can I buy it? Walmart or pond store?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
walmart craft stores sewing stores .Where ever you have a flow of water some just put it in a basket in there waterfall and catch the water coming out

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
easy just get dollar store basket or one of those plastic file things
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54076]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]