Fixing a depression where water is pooling

Reaction score
On my top tier to the left of the water fall I have an area that has become depressed. Water and crap gathers there and gets pretty bad and smelly (rotten egg). I cannot pick up the liner as the rocks are just too big.

Looking for suggestions like a small dam, or overlaying a 12" x12" piece of liner with some underlayment under it ( but how to attach) FLEX TAPE?

Anyone use this stuff. It seems like it would work IF it is non-toxic.

OR Maybe I could cut a one inch or so slit into the liner , ad something to build it up and then use a pond patch kit?

Whatever I do will be covered will small stones. Any input or suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ill try it. To the left of the big green rock is where the water falls hose is. I moved all the stones away. Even now after the winter the "stuff" still smells. Want to clean the area and somehow build it up.
Thanks
IMAG0150.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Flex tape is 'junk'!
I would not advise cutting the liner. Isn't there anyone available to help in moving the rocks? They really do not appear to be that large in the photo.

Reaction score
That green rock is bigger than a basketball and must weigh at least 200 lbs. The pond was installed professionally and they had a portable pulley system. It's tight up there now, too, which makes it all the more difficult. Here is a different perspective. Thanks for your help. It's the top tier and the water comes off that flat rock and runs left and right down to the pond.
IMAG0151.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So your "problem area" is to the right of the big green stone, correct? Does the water run to the right side and just sit there?

If that is indeed the problem, you could consider installing a small water line that would create movement in that area. I don't know how handy you are, but basically you need a T off the main line that feeds the waterfall (probably from behind the waterfall if that's easiest) then run a line to the right side and have it come out from between the rocks which would create a current. The depression would no longer be an issue.

Just one idea. I can explain in more detail if I've understood your problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do believe that a couple of men could roll the required rocks aside enough to gain access to the liner's edge. I have moved many rock over the years and these appear to be moveable manually.

Reaction score
Maybe the green one can stay and I'll try moving the smaller one...that might work.

Lisak, yes to the right of the green stone. Water flows and pools in the area that looks like dried mud...which it is.

Thanks all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can't tell how deep from the photo but can you fill the depression with concrete then push the small pebbles into the concrete then once dry put a few more of the loose stones on top. Water can still seep under but not enough to smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
water going out of liner ? or is it inside pond im confused sorry
may b errect a dam of concrete behind the rock that sandwitches the liner

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe contact whoever installed the pond and describe the problem to them. Maybe they can go back out and fix it for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rotten egg smell = anaerobic decomposition ...

not to be desired

i am quite unsure of the area of concern in the pics ...

maybe you could put some marginal pond plants in the area of concern ...
\[- bog culture \ ]

i agree Do not cut the liner
quite the number of different marginal pond plants ,, i like umbrella palm

grows out nice in a season

Reaction score
Hi,

No water is leaking or leaving at the perimeter. The pooling is inside the pond in the area where I have pulled back the stones. ( See pic above) I am not inclined to place cement on the inside on top of the liner to "fill " in the depression.

The pooling is no more than 2" deep and no more than 16" long.

Sleeping on this I was thinking of lowering the area around it to allow the water to flow. OR to get some fine sand, place the sand in a freezer bag and then use the seam tape or just a loose piece of liner to cover it. Any thoughts?

Today I'm removing a lot of the gravel, clean up the area and see if some more ideas pop up.

Calling the guy that did the work is not an option, unfortunately.

It is a very shallow area and the water is and should be moving like a stream down to the pond. I don't think any plants would work there but I will try and find some pics of plants in a stream like the one I have.

Ask a Question