Fixing corrugated tubing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there
My neighbours have a 20' by 6' pond with an Oase submerged pump attached to black corrugated tubing that connects to an overflow waterfall on the other end of the pond. The tubing goes along the edge of the pond under the rocks but only goes underground right at the very end. Starting up the pump this spring, there are several splits in the tubing so it needs to be replaced/repaired. I was going to just replace the entire length of the tubing, but am dreading digging up the waterfall area. The splits are relatively close together and to replace that section would only be about 6-8' in total.
Is it as simple as purchasing new corrugated tubing and using couplings and hose clamps to install a new section? The tubing measured 2" on the outside, but I've been told the tubing is actually 1.75" as the measurement is on the inside? Do I need any type of glue? Is purchasing the couplings as simple as walking into Home Depot and they have them? Sorry, I'm helping out my elderly neighbours and haven't a clue what I'm doing. They pay me well with delicious baking and fresh veges from their garden so I don't want to screw this up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Hi, there, and welcome. You are very nice to help out your neighbors and they to feed you so well.
I'm not all that sophisticated with hoses and connections, but my experience is that once hoses and tubes, particularly corrugated, start to fail in one place, the rest of the "run" is likely to start splitting soon and at the least convenient time. That's my intro to "probably replace the whole hose" (how long is it?). Others on this forum are great with this stuff, so they'll chime in. (A picture might help).
In my second pond, my buried hose was enclosed in a 1/2 inch larger solid PVC pipe so I could slip hoses in and out with relative ease. Is it possible that instead of a dig-up around the waterfall, you could slip a slightly smaller hose or Flex PVC (i.e OD <1.75") through the corrugated section? You'll get some change in water pressure with the smaller hose and need to adust the fittings/ couplings, but maybe that's a worthwhile tradeoff.
Or, can you abandon the buried section completely and connect to the waterfall with new hose and adjust some rocks to cover the new hose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That corregated pond hose is terrible.
@SarahT is correct. The rest of it won't last. Its total junk.
Replace it with standard ridgid PVC, flex PVC or combination of both.
Flex PVC will be the last hose they buy. It comes in white or black.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652372524454.gif
@littlesmit

Definitely replace w/Flex PVC. I have had mine buried all along my pond and then up under to the waterfall and it's been over 15 yrs w/no issues.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

We just had another new member very recently with a similar issue. To do the most effective job, the plastic corrugated stuff needs to be trashed, all of it, and replaced with PVC — flexible PVC is available and works well. There is really no way to repair or patch that plastic stuff, and even if you did get one spot “fixed,” there will eventually be problems with what’s left. We all on here speak from experience! A little more toil initially will save lots of money, time, and frustration in the long run!

Ask a Question