Flashing caused by ammonia?

Reaction score
I had posted the tread below in the water chemistry section and was recommended to post here as well.

I think the flashing issue is due to ammonia, which shows between .25 -.50. First noticed flashing Wed last week. Had previously a few days before done a 10% water change, then Sat did a 25%, cleaned mechanical filters, added salt and beneficial bacteria. Last week when I first noticed the flashing added Ammo lock. PH between 7.0-7.5. The funny thing is that I only notice them flashing around 7ish at night. They don't rub against sides of pond and always seem to flash in the same location in the pond, very strange. Some nights it's only one or two different fish that do it. Usually the larger fish, have not noticed my smaller ones doing it. I assume they're more affected by the water conditions.

I have never had flashing before and never (that I'm aware of) had ammonia problems. So I'm wondering what's causing it. Last year, late summer, I expanded the pond from approximately 700ish gallons to about 1200. I have two skimmers with mechanical filters, one in the newer section that pumps up to some large rocks and trickles down into pond. The 2nd skimmer goes into a small upper pond via a waterfalls (which has a filter) down a short stream then another waterfalls in to larger section of pond. Also have 2 bubblers, one in each pond. The pond is a figure 8 shape.
I don't think there's a fish load problem as some of my koi are small (lost several to a heron a few years ago) and there are fewer than when I had just the smaller pond due to losing 3 over winter. I also don't think it's parasites due to the ammonia readings.

Is it possible that because of the change in my pond size and shape that it is going through what someone who has a new pond would experience and has not cycled yet? Or is it possible that I don't have adequate filtration? What about a biological filter, would I need another pump for that or is that something you use with a skimmer?

I will get some Ammo lock today as I used it last week and it seemed to help subside the flashing for a day or two. My concern is how often can I use it and am I just masking a water quality issue that I need to address. I will also do a water change, probably tomorrow after work as there will be thunder storms this evening. If I put in Ammo lock tonight and then a water change tomorrow do I add more Ammo lock? I would prefer not to do a larger than 25% water change because the configuration of my pond has a channel where the 2 ponds connect that is only 12" deep. I can do a water change below that but would not want to leave it by doing a slow water change and a slow re-fill over a 24 hour period, as my fish would be kept in one pond during that time. I think that would be stressful to them. I would prefer smaller water changes more often if that would serve the same purpose.

Any suggestions that you all might have to help me with this would be great. I love the look of my new expanded pond and really want to enjoy it. So far it's been more stress than enjoyment.

Reaction score
Yes dieselplower you did. It was suggested that I also post this thread to the illness section. In fact I just replied to your comment on the water chemistry post, awaiting an answer from you about biofiltration when you get a chance. Sorry about the confusion.

Reaction score
I got home tonight and now more fish are flashing. I put ammo lock in last evening assuming that ammonia is the cause. Now I'm wondering if there's parasites. Unfortunately I don't have anyway to srape them, or a microscope of whatever I should be doing. I have a friend from the koi club who can come over Friday afternoon and she can do all that. I'm just really nervous having to wait until then.

Wouldn't the ammo lock have stopped the flashing if it's because of ammonia??

I have the post in the water chemistry section on this as well since I started there - assuming it was ammonia then was advised to post here.

Ask a Question