Flashing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Flashing is when you see your fishing laying flat and rubbing quickly on surfaces or pond bottom. If they do it now and then, that's okay. If multiple times a day or multiple fish then that could indicate a issue. PH can cause this, parasites like flukes etc. Water quality should be checked and then go from there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've read in multiple posts about fish "flashing". What exactly is that? Is it something they do? A condition they're in? Please help this 4 year noob out ;)
Flashing is your first indictaion that something is amiss with your fish it will rub agaist rocks or against the side of the pond to try to scrape off that which is irritating them i;e parasite.
can be your first indicator that something is wrong and that your fish needs to be caught and given a scrape .
To do this you use a credit card type card hold the fish against the side of the net thn at an angle from just behind the gills and slowly but gentlyy scrape towards the tail, put this on a microscope slide and fix it with a small fixer so that you can then find out what parasite your fish has and through that as to what treatment your going to need

Flashing is when you see your fishing laying flat and rubbing quickly on surfaces or pond bottom. If they do it now and then, that's okay. If multiple times a day or multiple fish then that could indicate a issue. PH can cause this, parasites like flukes etc. Water quality should be checked and then go from there.

As RobAmy says it may also be an indicator that you could be having water quality issues so test your water especially Ph and Kh if these are wrong then obviously you should set about putting things right .
If when you have done this they still flash, then as our answer to you "scrape n Scope" .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Thanks for the info folks :) Now I know what to look for if they flash. They're not doing that at all, but originally I though "flashing" had something to do with their colour changing due to stress or illness. I've never noticed them flashing (rubbing / scraping) over the last 4 years, so I guess all is well. I do test my water regularly, and my readings are always good and consistent.

Thanks for the help. - Paul

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
flashing is indecent, illegal, and a bit perverted so I wouldn't do it myself. but too each their own I guess. altho women flashers might be more socially accepted.....lol

Ask a Question