flex or non flex pvc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I have a delimma. I've already purchased 100 feet of black flex pvc 1.5' pipe for my pond but the company I'm having come in to do the final install "highly recommends" hard pvc. Didn't explain why but I thought flex was the way to go.

Thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've brought this up in the past and gotten the impression that it won't matter. You're in my approx. zone (8), so freezing shouldn't be an issue, wouldn't think. No clue, but will be interested to hear other responses.

Reaction score
texmaster said:
Didn't explain why but I thought flex was the way to go.

Thoughts?
Ya, NEXT ,.. I mean NEXT CONTRACTOR. Plain and simple, there are products that contractors prefer for certain applications BUT if a client ASKS the WHY they want to do something a certain way, and dont get an answer, I see that as a red flag. The contractor COULD be making the correct choice in his preference, but without an explaination, YOU dont know that they are correct. What happens if you have a problem later?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
well you guys have certainly made me feel better. He said he would use what I have however.

One question, I haven't bought the 1 inch tubing for the air pump. What should I go with there?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am going to go against the flow here.

If by flex PVC you mean the stuff that looks like a vacuum cleaner hose the contractor is right. Each of the little ridges creates an eddy in the water and the entire stream slows down. The way to go is with rigid PVC and sweep elbows. Bigger pipe is better too.

Flex PVC does have the advantage that it is easier to install.

Can you return the flex PVC ?

Reaction score
If it's the flex PVC that I've seen and used, it doesn't have any ridges on it, but it is a lot more expensive than regular PVC, and perhaps that is why the contractor is recommending you don't use it,,, simply to save you money.
When I use it, it is usually in places when I think I might want to eventually change or move a particular line or fitting, in cases like that it is easier to work with that the rigid stuff. And it's easier to flex around complex corners too, if you don't want to take the time, or have the skills, to heat and bend the rigid stuff.
There is a specific glue for flexible PVC though, if you use the regular rigid PVC cement with the flex PVC you risk blowing a connection.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Man this is depressing because the return rate the company wants is 30% and shipping will be a fortune.

Reaction score
People do have problems getting fittings to fit and getting glue to work. This doesn't seem to be super common but does come up in forums. From the contractor's POV he doesn't know what you have if you just say flex PVC. There's flex PVC pipe which should work with standard PVC fittings and there's flex PVC tube which doesn't.

Building a pond with nothing but flex is not fun. In short lengths flex PVC pipe is really bad. It's only flexible in long lengths. In short lengths trying to get a bunch of tight space runs like in and around filters is pretty much impossible. Normally flex is only used when there's a benefit.

But the big problem is air lock. Rigid can be placed in an uneven trench and basically be straight, no humps. Flex is more likely to go up and down with the uneven soil. So the builder has to take a lot more time trying to get out humps and making sure soil under the pipe won't settle. It's your basic nightmare. All plumbing for a pond is very low pressure and humps trap air which results in reduced water flow. The reduced flow can be slight or a lot. In gravity flows blockage can be 100%. This is called air locked.

IMO this contractor is trying to help you. You could go to the NEXT CONTRACTOR who may be like most pond builders and not know anything about air locks. Many pond builders say they know a lot about ponds, but really know almost nothing. But man o man they sure think they do, just ask them.

What I assume is going to happen is this contractor will just have to buy the correct pipe on his own. It's often not worth arguing with a customer that's gotten a bunch of "good advice" off the internet. Or, if he get's enough "good advice" and gets mad he may just say screw it and give you what you ask for. He can blow out any air locks using a high pressure pump and the pond will be working fine and he can get paid. Later air will accumulate and flows will decrease and clogs will form. You'll wonder and wonder what's going on.

Reaction score
HTH said:
Texmaster can you post an image of the pipe you have ? We are all guessing.
Humble Howard is right, unless we know what you have exactly we are just shooting in the dark.
You aren't giving use much information about what you are doing.

This is what I am thinking of when talking about flexible PVC pipe.
And as far as the PVC cement goes, there are a number of different types, you can use just about any type for flexible PVC and it will hold, providing you just glue the joints and let them sit as they are, without moving them. However where I have run into problems before was when I used flexible PVC pipe and standard rigid PVC glue and actually wanted to use the flexible PVC pipe like it was a garden hose moving it around everyday, the flexible PVC pipe can take this but it strains the glue joint if you don't actually use a flexible glue.
The good news is that the flexible PVC glue is the same cost as the other stuff and can be used on regular rigid PVC pipe, so there is no reason why not to buy it and use it on everything. It's probably because of this that I have noticed that some place only sell flexible PVC cement.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mucky_Waters said:
The good news is that the flexible PVC glue is the same cost as the other stuff and can be used on regular rigid PVC pipe, so there is no reason why not to buy it and use it on everything. It's probably because of this that I have noticed that some place only sell flexible PVC cement.
Last time I was buying PVC cement, don't recall seeing any that stated it was for "flex PVC." Does it have a particular name or label that would make it obvious on the shelf?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use sump pump hose cheap and easy to get
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42777]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42776]

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
IMO this contractor is trying to help you. You could go to the NEXT CONTRACTOR who may be like most pond builders and not know anything about air locks. Many pond builders say they know a lot about ponds, but really know almost nothing. But man o man they sure think they do, just ask them.
As I wrote, the contractor COULD be correct, but if a contractor is UNWILLING to answer QUESTIONS, that is a red flag. HOW do you know this contractor is trying to be helpful with a LACK of info??? Then again, there's a saying about assumptions.

Ask a Question