Flexable pvc fittings

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does anyone have an tricks for getting flexible pvc to fit over hose fittings? Back to back days losing 3 to 4 inches and found a wet area behind my bog, so I suspect it’s one of my connections as I couldn’t get the hose very far up the hose fitting. I am wondering if I should replace all the flexible pvc and go with hard pvc pipe. I plan on running through the winter so I need to have this thing leak proof..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree with above. If it's true FLEX PVC, then solvent weld [glue]. But wondering what kind of fittings and hose fittings are you using and are they compatible with standard PVC?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am using these for all my connections

Attachments

• fitting.jpg
    fitting.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 270
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
FWIW make sure you do not use "all purpose cement" when you glue the fittings. You need to use CPVC or PVC cement when using real flex PVC.

And use regular fittings as others have stated. I was able to slip my 1-1/2 hose over the barbs, which is submerged in my skimmer so no big deal if there is a minor leak.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am using these for all my connections
OK, here's where I show my ignorance regarding various tubings.....bare with me while I process this. You have a barbed end and a threaded end. The barbed end is for the tubing and the threaded end is for the pump. If you're using PVC pipe -- either hard or FLEX -- I think you need the standard slip/threaded fitting. I don't think the PVC pipe will work with a barbed fitting.

Are you sure that the tubing you have now is FLEX PVC and not another type of flexible tubing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Flexi pipes should be glued to straight plastic pipes with a slovent glue of some sort

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Flex PVC and Barbed fittings are NOT compatible.

FWIW, I am in fact using 1-1/2" flex PVC over a Laguna quick connect 1-1/2" barbed fitting. It's snug and works well. I would, however, not do this if the connection was not submersed in the skimmer.

Ask a Question