FLEXIBLE PVC PIPE?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How flexible is it & can you do the same things with it as you would use regular PVC (as for ponding uses)?

What are its limitations / downsides, if any?

Reaction score
How flexible is it & can you do the same things with it as you would use regular PVC (as for ponding uses)?

What are its limitations / downsides, if any?
I use it a lot, it's very flexible. You can use it the same as rigid PVC, but there is a specific (flexible) glue that you should use when working with it.
The downside is it is very expensive compared to rigid PVC, especially in the larger dimensions.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
If it's what I'm thinking I use it in some applications. very forgiving but a lot more expensive. see pic where I have it going from pump to bead filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20120325_100101.jpg
    IMG_20120325_100101.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 422

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about ID vs OD? Is that an issue with fittings? Read on one sales site where they say it can be hit or miss getting the right fittings. Maybe I read it wrong, but they said "flex" went by the ID....

Oh, and can you drill holes in it [or cut slits]?

Reaction score
Flexible PVC will fit standard PVC fittings no problem. The OD is the same on the flexible PVC pipe as it is on the rigid PVC, and that's what counts when inserting the pipe into fittings, however the flexible pipe has a thicker wall then scheduled 40 PVC pipe, so the inside diameter will be slightly smaller, which means there will be a slight bit more restriction.
And it cuts and drills the same as rigid as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MUCKY & KOUGS, thanks a bunch for the info -- exactly what I wanted to know.

Now maybe I can get on with a couple of projects! Love coming up with new ways to use PVC [they know me by name at my HOME DEPOT :) -- wish they carried the "flex" PVC...]

I use it a lot, it's very flexible. You can use it the same as rigid PVC, but there is a specific (flexible) glue that you should use when working with it.
The downside is it is very expensive compared to rigid PVC, especially in the larger dimensions.

According to one sales site [which I may have misread], they said you could use standard PVC glue -- not so?

And pricing, foot-per-foot, roughly how much more would you say the "flex" is? Well, guess I COULD figure that one out myself, DUH [25 ft. roll vs 2-12 ft lengths of straight pipe..... I'll just "google" that sales site again. Sorry...]

Reaction score
According to one sales site [which I may have misread], they said you could use standard PVC glue -- not so?
In a pinch it will work, problem is regular PVC glue is not flexible, so if you use the non flexible glue with the flexible PVC pipe and end up actually flexing the glue joint a lot it can crack the glue and the connection can fail. If the glue joint never gets flexed it will probably be fine, but why take the chance, better to use the flexible glue. In fact it is best to just use the flexible glue all the time instead of the rigid glue, because the flexible glue also works for gluing rigid PVC pipe.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is used in well water lines here and is flexible to a point but also the warnings are the same if exposed protect from sun, heat and cold .Here you can buy it at lowes and home depot. ,well some of them sell it but not all of them .it can be special ordered or plumbing supply stores sell it .They used to use standard water lines but found over time there was a problem with them .I know i changed mine out for those regular ones when the well was put in because they are heavier duty .The other water line was cheaper but the well driller gave me the option of going with the better stuff and incasing it and incasing the ground contact electrical just in case the extra 200 dollars is worth it .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can also bend regular pvc with heat. There was someone on here that did it with their gas grill I think.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
You can also bend regular pvc with heat. There was someone on here that did it with their gas grill I think.

That was me. You can use regular rigid pvc the same way you can with flex pipe.

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

This is running up hill with a long sweeping bend and a bend around a large rock. All one piece after coming out of the skimmer box area.
IMG_2754.jpg

This is what I used to bend my pipe. I had the grill on high heat with the lid closed and turning the pipe constantly until it was limp like a noodle
IMG_2760.jpg

This is coming off the same line that is coming out of my skimmer box. Just put a wye in the line with a few ball valves and heated it up and formed it.
IMG_2771.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ryan yes it was you. You should make a video of doing it and then your pics, then have it pinned by one of the moderators in the DIY section. I would really like to see a video on it...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing is you will want to burn off and clean that grill really good before you use it for food again .You don't want children getting sick as they are not as immune to toxic stuff as adults are .Even then be careful

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The pipe doesn't touch the cooking grates. The pipe lays on the cut outs where you would put a rotisserie chicken turner thing. The pipe is far enough away that it doesn't get burnt, just gets soft and warm from the heat of the grill. I'll make a video of it and post it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mucky_Waters said:
In a pinch it will work, problem is regular PVC glue is not flexible, so if you use the non flexible glue with the flexible PVC pipe and end up actually flexing the glue joint a lot it can crack the glue and the connection can fail. If the glue joint never gets flexed it will probably be fine, but why take the chance, better to use the flexible glue. In fact it is best to just use the flexible glue all the time instead of the rigid glue, because the flexible glue also works for gluing rigid PVC pipe.
Hmmm, was GOOGLING "flex PVC," and this old thread of mine popped up!

So WHAT is the special "glue" called? Is there something in the labeling that will help me spot it? I usually just grab either the blue kind or the combo pkg with primer and the clear cement.

Ask a Question