Flexible pvc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As I’m building a bog, I need to transition from underground piping to above ground and up and over the side wall of my bog. Don’t want to use standard pvc piping as I’m guessing that’d be ripe for cracking.....from research I understand flexible schedule 40 pvc is the gold standard. But....I have a heck of a time finding it locally. I don’t see it at Menards or HD or Lowe’s. If you use this stuff, where do you source it? I’d just order it online, but I have time off next weekend and wanted to do this project then and Amazon is wholly unreliable right now for delivery time frames. Or am I foolish and should just use the inexpensive white pvc? Maybe I could create a union at the ground next to the bog so I can remove the pipe and more easily drain the water in the fall? Does any of that make sense?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose and my sump pump hose in my pond is from 2010 and still holding up great .To attach pvc to sump pump hose I just rough up pvc with sand paper and put hose clamp on after I shove pvc inside sump pump hose .Pieces have never come apart .But you are limited in size .The smaller adapter was just to cut down water flow to the other underwater spitter that helps keep the bottom clean
100_4805.JPG
100_4809.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I bought my 1-1/2" schedule 40 pvc from Amazon. It was $50 for 25 feet. I hear you on the lengthy wait as of late. The last couple of orders I placed from them took weeks to even ship.

I recently visited a local plant nursery who also sells pond fish, plants and equipment. They had a bunch of flex pvc. Maybe you can search your area for a place like this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would also suggest checking locally - anyone who builds any kind of water features may have it. We got some of ours from a pond supplier, but the rest of ours came from a plumbing supply store.

I will also add "flex PVC" is one of the bigger misnomers I have ever heard... it's more "flex" than solid PVC, but it doesn't flex much! To get our line down into the bottom of our bog, we used a 90 degree elbow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Flexiable schedule 40 pvc is at my local Lowes. Its listed as spa hose. But is $4 a foot and white. I bought my on ebay for $1 a foot 25 foot roll.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Flexiable schedule 40 pvc is at my local Lowes. Its listed as spa hose. But is $4 a foot and white. I bought my on ebay for $1 a foot 25 foot roll.
And you can use regular pvc pipe cement on this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
And you can use regular pvc pipe cement on this?
Yes, regular pvc primer and glue and it's the same outer diameter as the ridgid stuff, so it fits all the same fittings. They make it in black and in white. Obviously, black is the preferred choice.
And as Lisa has stated, it's not as flexible as you would hope. It does bend, but in a big radius. In my opinion, it will probably be the last hose you'll buy. I don't know how many rolls of that Tetra pond hose I went through before discovering flex PVC. They do make two varieties of flex pvc, one is more flexible than the other. I remember seeing a video of someone showing the difference in flexibility between the two and between the different diameters.

Ask a Question