Flies EVERYWHERE!! Gross, gross! But no more rats!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Warning! This might get graphic & gross.....

A little while back I posted (somewhere) about our rat infestation. I was mostly concerned for the safety of my box turtles, plus these rats kept eating the turtle's food.

I believe that we had 2 types of rats: an outdoor, wood-rat type, and another type that visited the attic. I say that because I observed rats that were 2 different colors and 2 different size ranges. There were larger, darker gray ones, and smaller, lighter gray with white underbellies.

Well, we did a lot of yard clean-up, which helped reduce the rats' hiding places. We normally keep snap traps in the attic, but lately they haven't been catching anything. I refuse to put snap traps out in the open because I once killed some wrens -- I love wrens. And same for sticky traps (also caught some wrens -- nosey birds!). And normally, I'm against poisons, as well, but this was war!

I put out baits. Soon the rat sightings stopped. But never saw or smelled dead rats in the yard. Then, within the past week or 2, have been seeing houseflies in the house. We NEVER have houseflies! Went in the attic to check, but there was no odor up there [and I have no idea at what point during decomposition the odor would stop on its own.....]. But we still figured the flies were due to dead rats.

It started with a few flies here & there. But 2 days ago our cats were having a blast, chasing something around the back windows. We will occas. have a wasp that comes in through the chimney, so I went to investigate....... OMG! Our windows [somewhat hidden by the blinds] were smothered in houseflies! Hubby went to get a fly swatter. I went for the vacuum cleaner. We started sucking those flies up -- our vac sounded like a video game, making this "plink" sound every time a fly went in. Hubby & I were actually having a blast!

We got all that were visible, but know there will be stragglers. Hubby wanted to cover the entrance hole to the vacuum cleaner so the ones we'd sucked up wouldn't get out. No need to worry about that! We have a Dyson vac, and whatever it has -- cyclonic action -- took care of any living flies. We looked inside the canister and there was nothing but fly-parts.

So, moral of the story, for us anyway, is to keep our yard tidy so the rats won't have any reason to live at our house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Funny you mention this! This past Monday, we came home from work to find we had a dozen house flies zooming about. Can you say GROSSSSSSS?!?!?!?! We were in and out of the house a bunch on Sunday, so suspect they managed to hitch a ride through various open doors. I killed all of the lights except for strategically placed lamps and went to town with a fly swatter, cackling maniacally with each direct hit. Cheap therapy, I guess. Haven't seen one since, but I'm ready for them!

Sort of relatedly, I have a bunch of Scentsy warmers (scented wax things that use tiny lightbulbs instead tealights to warm) that make GREAT bug catchers. I leave them on all the time and every couple of days, I have drowned moths, gnats and other things in each one. Great smelling and bug-killing! Hooray for doing double duty!!!! (don't judge me, i live near the woods and there are bugs....)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
@michey1st Hubby & I got a lot of enjoyment [IOW, "cackling maniacally"] out of sucking those guys up in the Dyson -- and hearing that "plink" sound with each one. I asked Hubby if we should have been keeping score [like in a video game] :)
LOVE IT! Next time (if there IS a next time....) i'll give the Dyson a try! The only thing better than squishing them dead, is killing 'em with advanced cyclonic action!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@michey1st Hubby & I got a lot of enjoyment [IOW, "cackling maniacally"] out of sucking those guys up in the Dyson -- and hearing that "plink" sound with each one. I asked Hubby if we should have been keeping score [like in a video game] :)
Suck them into your Dyson Vacuum clear Maggie :eek: what a waste of good protien for your goldfish to eat :happy:.
"I have a bad feeling that your missing rats nest might be in the walls either under that window or above perhaps". :(

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hang a fly stickie strip from a light and its will catch them for you.

You gotta be careful with the fly strips if you have cats in the house. I had some flies buzzing around the house one summer and decided to try the fly strip. Well one of my smart *ssed cats figured out a way to reach the strip and it got stuck on the cat. And I mean it was stuck and even after I managed to get the strip off her she still had sticky goo on her fur. What a mess! :cat:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You gotta be careful with the fly strips if you have cats in the house. I had some flies buzzing around the house one summer and decided to try the fly strip. Well one of my smart *ssed cats figured out a way to reach the strip and it got stuck on the cat. And I mean it was stuck and even after I managed to get the strip off her she still had sticky goo on her fur. What a mess! :cat:
I dont know Maria :cat::rolleyes: they tend to end up in sticky situations all the time , its sounds as if your cat did this literally :LOL:.
We had Sammy our very first cat gt covered in blue gloss paint after she ran straight through the painters tin , we rushed her to the vet and the poor liitle girl came back quite bald in places after the vet shabed areas of her body toomatted with paint to do anything :(
We can laugh about it now but back then it simply wasnt funny but its remembered by us with affection because Sammy was Sammy and she was a little cat who never did anything by halves :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a few days upwards it all depends on just what species they are as to how long they survive for Big Lou dont you think ?
Thats one thing I've learned from Val's love of all things detective
From "Sherloch Holmes , Miss Marple and on through a long list of others through to modern day Detectives she loves them all".:rolleyes: ?
I dont mind any of them first time out who would no its th re-runs that get me;)

Dave

Ask a Question