Floating algae snot balls

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I know it's glamorous but I don't know how else to describe what it is. The pond is clear but by then end of the day, near the waterfall and fountain mostly, I have these slimy balls of algae floating around. They clump together and are easy to just scoop out but I'm curious what it is. They are dark green, clump into balls, and are super slimy. They also sink at night and float up during the day. Like I said the water is clear but any idea what this is? I wonder if I add goldfish if they'll eat it all.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Algae, like any plant, produces oxygen during the day. This can get trapped in the fibers of the algae, causing the mass to float. At night, oxygen production stops, and as it slowly dissipates, the mass sinks to the bottom. I wouldn't count on a few goldfish to eat it all, but they do tend to nibble on it. Keep scooping, and eventually it tends to go away.
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Haro, it's been there since the pond cleared up a few weeks ago. I'd rather have it than cloudy water I was just curious if there was any way to get rid of it completely.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
IKR, I don't know what the dealeo is between my pond and snot. This stuff is weird looking... Maybe it's just me and I'm hallucinating it all. LOL
I hope the fish like it, hoping to get some Thursday, PetSmart was out this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I hope the fish like it, hoping to get some Thursday...
disinformation-clipart-hooray.png

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To bad I can't ship fry I have a ton this year pretty shubunkins

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just had to read the title to know this was @tbendl !
Hehe Lisak1.
To bad I can't ship fry I have a ton this year pretty shubunkins
And I agree.
And yes, I hope to have fishues like the rest of you soon.
Question though, do fish like caves or tunnels better? I haven't gone hidey hole shopping yet. Possibly going today and not sure if I should just use a pot turned on it's side or make a tunnel?

Ask a Question