Floating Impatien Island

Reaction score
Last spring, after coming home from Epcot Flower and Garden Festival, I determined to attempt a floating impatien island for my small pond. I wanted something flowering and providing cover while the lilies were dormant.
Not my picture, but here is what I'm talking about:
2351.jpg

Now, my pond is much much smaller!
I experimented with regular impatiens and the new sun-patiens; a cross of New Guinea and wild impatiens. I also experimented with planting in kitty litter and planting bare root.
For my pond, the hands down winner was bare root sunpatiens.
Here is the mother plant last week, it is roughly 3 feet in diameter. It started out as a rescue from the Lowes dieing plant rack late last spring.
IMG_0097.JPG

I've not been able to get a good photo showing all the roots growing freely in the water below the plant, but they go out quite a ways beyond the edge of the plant. As you can see, there is even a branch completely submerged that is surprisingly not rotted.
I started another container a few weeks ago. Just took a piece of window screening, made a type of bucket inside a scrap of 1/2 hosing, and then tied on a bunch of corks around the edge. You can see how much the roots have grown, and how they are growing through the screening.
IMG_0098.JPG

I spent a bit more time on the original floating island, but as you can see from the first picture, you can hardly see it anymore the impatien has gotten so big, so this last one I just made simpler. Here is the first island,
IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat idea! Now we need to see them floating in your pond and full of plants :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is so pretty! We have ice covering the pond when the lilies are dormant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the green thing is but what is the black thing .I guess you could use a garbage can lid with holes drilled in it .Great idea adding the gravel to it so it sticks before it dries .I saw that on the net about epcot center and saw that done with floating poinsettias one year but can't remember what garden place did it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok thought for some reason it looked familiar but could not figure it out

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Quite lovely Dianne and neat idea !!

You could also do something, such as below, to cover some pond area while the lilies are dormant. :)

[color=#800000;][video][/color]
[/video]
[video]
[/video]
[color=#800000;][video][/color]
[color=#800000;][/video][/color]

Reaction score
You know Charles, I have actually tried some of that. Wax Begonia melted super quick. Lettuce hung on for a bit but never did prosper. Don't know why I haven't thought of sticking a banana plant in the pond! I think my pond doesn't get enough sun for plants who's roots don't really really love water to grow more roots than loose roots. I am currently growing green onions and water cress pretty well and when it warms up enough to spend a good chunk of time in the water I'm going to re-pipe things so that I have a bin of onions and water cress that will have a constant trickle feed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought the bag you had there was stone but geeze it is crushed coral .How interesting .They just sell it like that in garden centers and how much .My aunt lives in Florida and she is coming up for a visit in may .Could rope her into getting me some . :razz:

Reaction score
Love impatiens... what is the "white stuff" in the second to last photo? Looks like blow foam to me, but dont know that can... also, why did you put crushed coral on it? Is it for the benefit of the plant? or a neat place to stick some coral for buffering the pond water???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The spray foam she is using is just the window and door spray foam they sell at lowes or home depot .I know I have used it for years .They sell it in 2 types .I know we use crushed oyster shells to buffer the pond and to stabilize ph and wonder if maybe some knows if the crushed coral does the same thing now that you mentioned it capewind .HMMMM

Reaction score
I have crushed oyster shell "as" gravel (fine layer) in one of the baby fish tanks... Our tap water's PH is only at 7.0... Does the trick to keep the PH where I want it. I have a little plant in there too (forgot what it is) and just pushed some coral over to the plant to root in... doing fine but didnt know how it (the plant) would do when I did it. So wasnt sure if the plant island had coral for the plant, or for the pond LOL...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I plant my lotus and lily's in crushed oyster shells and kitty litter and they grow pretty decent ,even with the koi ripping them apart .They grow really good in the stock tank ,no koi . :razz: :goldfish:bad fish

Ask a Question