Floating Island Plant Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got one of those "floating island" pond planters, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for planting it. I was hoping for some kind of tall-ish grass plant that is cold hardy, along with a low lying brush type plant that will creep over the sides. If anyone has any ideas thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Juncus effusus 'Spiralis' (corkscrew rush) for floating islands. It spreads nicely and doesn't get towering.
Cyperus alternifolius (Umbrella palm) looks great with their height and tropical appearance. But in my experience, it becomes top heavy and gets blown over in heavy wind.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rush grows tall. Creeping jenny crawls nicely

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, some rush grows tall (nearly 4 feet) but not what I suggested. Spiralis typically grows perhaps one and 1/2 feet tall. Some shoots might go up to two feet but they are thin, and sparse at the upper reaches. In any event, the plant is never top heavy for a floating planter as would be found with say an umbrella palm or some of the taro. Lots of choices, just key word bog plants and you will find all sorts of options. Just be careful not to get anything that will become top heavy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would look at water willow, grows about 12-18 inches tall blooms all summer nice purple / lilac flowers. they look like little orchids
not my picture

1584700314999.png
1584700373444.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I've seen those before. I guess I had a senior moment. I do use those floating nets to deter the fish from eating the roots of floating plants.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There is also the biohaven floating islands. Think the smallest one is 2.5’x2’ and has a bunch of planting pockets, but is designed to let plants grow throughout the entire island. So becomes Completely disguised by plants. Only issue with these are it would give a good hunting spot for herons.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is also the biohaven floating islands. Think the smallest one is 2.5’x2’ and has a bunch of planting pockets, but is designed to let plants grow throughout the entire island. So becomes Completely disguised by plants. Only issue with these are it would give a good hunting spot for herons.
I had a nice island, the heron used it for a fishing spot, landed on the island and started hunting. I had a wide weave net over the pond the island allowed the heron to land on the net pushing it down to the island. So island gone! A small one would be safe, maybe, they can land on a small spot. Mine was around 3x3 feet.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It is crazy how smart birds are at problem solving. I have a 2’x2.5’ floating island, but my net is about 7’ above the pond, so the heron can land on the net all it wants.

At the moment the island is covered in water forget me not, bloody dock and I think a clump of grass. It is completely covered, mostly have it in there for the turtles to bask on but they seem to prefer the logs I put in the pond to anything else.

Ask a Question