Floating Little Green leafed plants

Reaction score
My pond has been doing really well for the 6 years weve been here, but suddenly this year, Ive got lots of little green clover like plants floating in the pond. I havent added any new pond plants so wondered have they flown in on the wind or come on the back of a frog maybe?

And my next question - how do I get rid of them as I have a horrible feeling they will take over the surface if Im not careful

All help appreciated

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Some kind of duckweed, maybe? It's commonly spread by water birds. John

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have both duckweed and azolla in my ponds. The azolla looks like small clover. During the winter months when all the other floating plants die off, they thrive. Then as it warms up they thin out. Once you have it, there is little chance you will ever get rid of it.
If you don't like it, just net out the excess every so often. It is easy to do and the mulch pile loves it. Or toss a few Tilapia in your pond and they will eat it.

Reaction score
Ducks will devour it too,lol.(hence the name duckweed)I grow the stuff in my aquariums and have so much excess I give it away.Its a great plant to soak up extra nutrients though and help control algae.Goldfish and koi munch on it some,or so I have been told.My bettas nest in it and its a great hiding place for fry.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My goldfish chomp it all up so fast that if I don't keep some in floating rings or in outside pots there wouldn't be any left..............little pigs. I like the duck weed and azolla both. They are good for the water also if you can keep it under restraint.

Reaction score
Thanks all - sadly my cat is too good at fishing so no fish in my pond. Ive also had no water birds visit so still a mystery how it came to appear this year. I am managing to keep it off the open water so so far its only where the weed floats. If its good for the water, maybe I wont be so definite about removing it.

ta for your help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some duckweed that I keep in a pot so as to replenish it and get a lot of it growing so I always have some. Each night my friends the raccoons put their paws into it and then march up to the back deck and wash their hands in the cats water. So every morning their is duckweed in the water dish. So if any little critters come around your pond and have it on their hands or faces and take a sip from your pond............voila...............instant duckweed in your pond! You could also end up w/ fish eggs in your pond someday this same way, so don't be surprised, lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some growing in my bog, that ended up in the pond, the goldies do love to eat it. It grows in mats in the bog, so I break them up and they wash down into the pond. A veggie snack for the fish.

Ask a Question